Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Periods

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM
  • 30 Replies

Has your daughter started her period yet?

If so, how long ago?

If not, how soon do you expect it and how prepared do you feel you both are for it?

Gina
Mom to Amy &
Group Mom of Moms with Tween Daughters

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandy1978
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM

my oldest started when she was 11. my youngest at 10 hasn't started yet.

blessed.mom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Amy started about a year ago now at age 10 1/2

Gina
Mom to Amy &
Group Mom of Moms with Tween Daughters

sahlady
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM

She started december of 6th grade.  I had already started carring pads in my purse and car.  So we were 100% pre-paired. 

btw... she started at a hotel right as we got off a 5 hr flight and checked in... and I DID have pads in my carry on 'just in case'. 

Luvof2angels
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM

My daughter is 12 and will be 13 in October. She started slightly spotting about a month ago and officially started her period yesterday. We have had a lot of talks about it and I think she is prepared. She's not happy though, says it's gross! lol

momsped
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM

My oldest started when she was 11.  My youngest daughter is 12 and hasn't started yet.  We have talked about it and she took a mini sex ed course last year at school.  They talked a lot about starting your period and so from that perspective she is prepared.  I just don't think it will go that smoothly when she starts.  She is  my emotional child who gets upset over everything and I think when she starts she is going to freak out.  We have had a few signs like cramps and being emotional (more than normal) but still nothing.  I started when I was 13 so she may not start for another year.

Earth-Angel
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM

My DD is 4, so I don't have that problem yet and my son is 10, still no problem. I started when I was 14, my sisters were 12, 11 and 11 I believe and my mom was 9. So, in my experience, I began to realize everyone start at different pace and everyone is different and doesn't matter when you start, girls will start when their time is right. I was a late bloomer. LOL!

Babs

c_turtle21
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM

My dd did not start until she was 12. Her pediatrician said that she needed more than 12% to 14% body fat. She is now 13 years and 1 month(and a 15% BMI) and her cycle is anything but regular. I bought her a little make up case that she keeps int eh top of her locker with extra pads and a clean pair of panties. Because she is so irregular often times it is a surprise.

melodyev
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM

My two oldest started when they were 12 and my youngest daughter is 12 now, but still hasn't started. The older ones started puberty earlier, and younger one is barely in it, so she may not start for another year or two.

Mingo
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM

My daughter is 11 and hasn't started yet, but is definately going thru the emotional roller coaster! My mom was 16 when she started and I was 10, so no telling when my daughter will start. We've had lots of open discussions and discussed pads vs. tampons, etc. so I think she's pretty prepared. She has a make-up bag she'll keep in her locker for after PE, so I think we'll tuck some pads and a change of panties in there just in case. 

cherieb10
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM

My daughter just turned 11 in July. She has not started her period yet, but it won't be long.  She is complaining of cramping. Anyone has an idea how soon the cramping starts before their period?   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)