Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fundraisers - How to Deal

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok, so far, with 2 kids I will have 4 fundraising packets all going at once. 2-school; 2-scouts and one Math-a-thon (for St Jude's).  I really hate this. We do not have a large pool of family, friends, co-workers from which to draw and I really wouldn't mind so much going door to door in the neighborhood with them, of course, except everything is pre-pay, so, you are going to alot of folks you don't know that well and saying, give me your money and I will bring your item in about 4 weeks. The kids come home SO excited "please, please, we want to do this" and that generally lasts about a day, after which they have completely forgotten about it. Last year, I just moved the packets slowly to the recycling bin for the school fundraisers. However, with scouts, you really need to participate because it counts for the whole troup, etc. We don't have any option to opt out or believe me, we would. I always feel so apologetic about our meager sales which are only going to get more meager when being spread ever thinner. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monshine2
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM

1. Take the packets to work... Lay them out in a central location and let people choose which if any they want to participate in...

2. Take 1 fundraiser door to door in one area and another in another area so your trying to sell both but not to the same people...

3. Send out a mass email to family and friends that you do have outlining the fundraisers and just let them pick what they want to check out if any....

Good Luck!

rfourangels
by on Sep. 26, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Well- you're not alone. I'm simply done with them. If I am required to participate (like help collect Christmas trees at scouts/ help with a hot lunch, etc), I do. But, that is it. I don't solicit my friends and neighbors, nor do I allow my children to go door to door, and I don't buy from neighbor kids either.

I will write one check to our school at the beginning of the year, as a donation, and don't participate in all the little (or even big) fundraisers. First, I don't want to deal with all that stuff, second, when I give money for something, I want a 100% tax donation.

I will give my time whenever it is needed, such as being a lunch mom or library mom, or helping in the classroom which directly benefits my kids. I don't feel bad, that is just what we've chosen to do, nor do I apologize.

My kids are 11 and 12, and we have been at this school since preschool... I'm really tired of all the fundraisers.

vikkinbill
by on Sep. 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Just say you are sorry you tried noone is interested......and send it back.  Believe me you will not be the only one....many parents do this.

TheAmy
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I feel for you.  I wouldn't mind it so much if it were like 1 fundraiser per year, but it seems like my dd brings home like 3 - 4 fundraisers per year, just from school alone... it's just too much.  This year I have simply said "enough", and told my dd we will not be doing anymore fundraisers for awhile.  I usually do try to participate in every one, at least to a small degree, and in some have even sold quite a bit, such as with Girl Scout Cookies (those things practically seem to sell themselves).  But when you keep relying on the same people (family, friends, work) to buy the items every time, you begin to feel kinda bad after awhile.  AND I don't know about you, but I always end up doing all the selling, not my DH or DD.  I think these organizations need to be a little more creative about how they raise funds and quit sending us parents home with so many order forms.  Not to mention that some of the fundraisers are rediculously difficult to sell.  A nephew of mine just this weekend brought a fundraiser to a family event and he was selling cookie dough, which is great, but... $16 per box?!  OMG. 

Maybe it's time to revolt against the fund raisers. 

officerjoeys
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I don't do the fundraiser packets.I have 3 kids that bring them home all at the same time.Not to mention, my girl is in Scouts and sells cookies and then my boy scout sells popcorn. It's just too much. I'm happy just sending in the box tops and milk caps. 

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM

As far as the school fundraiser crap (that's what most of the items they sell are) it goes right in the garbage.  The schools get such a measly percentage from those that I just write a check for whatever we can afford $20, $50..whatever.  We like you, don't have a large family of pool of friends.  When it's GS cookie time, my DH takes the form to work, my Mom takes a form to work and I deal with the family by making an online order form for them.  Don't feel pressured into it, and don't feel bad for opting out. 

HBP1236
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM

We only do the popcorn fundraiser, too.  And we buy GS cookies.

That is all I'll support.

Funny comment while we were  selling popcorn  at the commissary:  "Sorry, we don't believe in the Boy Scouts."

LOL

wondergirl
by Member on Sep. 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Thanks everyone for making me not feel so alone! The school packets are slowly making their way to the recycle bin. We will try to do something with the scouts - magazines and candy - and will proudly turn in our orders.

Ibelongtojesus
by on Sep. 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I know how you feel most of my family has kids that are selling too. And dh works an hour away and no one there wants to buy for a school not in their distrct, so no friends either.  Now they buy the boy scout popcorn but that is becuase my 2 sons are the only scouts in the whole plant. 

We currently have a bookfair (school), pictures(scool), fundraiser(schoool), boyscout popcorn sale.  See how the school piles everything on you at once.  Gives you zero time to get money for everything.

We pass on the pictures (we wait until spring), we usually get the kids wrapping paper from the fundraiser but we are getting it at Sam's club this year, and we always get popcorn from Cubscouts.

nanathena
by on Sep. 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I only support those that has a certain reason for it.  For examples, if my kids are going on a trip with the school and the fundraiser helps to pay their part of the trip.  I support it, that's less money out of my pocket.  Or if it's for a good cause such as Jump Rope For Heart, or Walkathon for Cancer.    All the others seems to get forgotten about if you know what I mean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)