Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colic Calm

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:11 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 293 Total Views
My baby, Bella has been colicky since she turned 4 weeks.  I wanted other moms to know about this gripe water that I've been giving her and it's the only thing that's worked for my baby.  It's called Colic Calm.  It's got this carbon that supposedly absorbs the gas in the stomach and intestines.  It's all natural and it's so good that I had to wait for over a week to get.  They were out of stock!  Check it out if you think  you need it.
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MamiAngi
by Group Owner on Mar. 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Wish I would have known about that stuff when Athyn had colic. Although the gripe water never did work for him.
glory70
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2007 at 12:50 AM
I tried some Gripe water from the health store that has not seem to help.  I bought it on the 7th and it is now the 10th.   I have other health conditions that have come on since her birth and the crying is driving my insane. My infant is now 5 weeks old and she does nothing but cry all day. I can't lay her in her crib, bassinet or swing for more than 10 minutes before she starts crying to be held.  Then matters only get worse at night when she has these episodes where she cries for a couple hours staraight which appears to be for no reason.  I need help.  I don't know if te daytime crying is from her being held to much and she is now use to someone picking her up everytime she cries, and the night time crying, whethter that is colic, and what to do.  I bought the gripe water that they speak of on the internet and this does not seems to relieve the crying.
MommyNiBella
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 8:12 AM
I was in the exact same boat as you. My baby is now 3 months and she seems to be getting better. She's been able to sleep now for 4 nights and she would only cry to eat. So hang in there.

There were a few things that I would discover that eventually helped her out. You may be already doing these things already yourself but these are what I eventually discovered that helped my baby out.

My midwife told me to keep her tightly swaddled and if you're breastfeeding, to stop eating any dairy products or anything that causes you to be gassy (like broccoli, cabbage etc) because you'll pass it on to her.  Of course, burp her as much as you can. My midwife also says that I have to breastfeed her at a length of 20 mins on one breast so that Bella gets the hindmilk more than the foremilk.  The foremilk also causes gas production the belly.  I was able to tell when Bella only takes in just foremilk when her poop is green.  I also notice that when she's feeling good, her poop is yellow - orange.  And when she has her spells, her poop is green.  My mom said that when she and her sisters had babies, they would put something like a bellyband on their babies so in that way, it puts pressure on the belly, much like when they are on their stomachs laying down. I did this because Bella had a little hernia and that helped the hernia to sink down. I would also prop her up with pillows all the time specially right after she eats. (This is after she is burped.) Every morning, I do this exercise on her where I hold on to her legs and make her do a "bicycle" motion. After a few of those, I take her feet and put them as close to her chest as possible. That lets out a lot of gasses and poop. Also, try to massage her belly.

When Bella was 6 weeks, we brought her to a chiropractor. He was able to feel where the gasses were and when we got home, my baby let out this loud burp! She slept really good that night! The chiropractor also suggested we do an enema on her with some Lipton with Orange Pekoe Tea. 5 mins after we did that, she let out a lot of air and poop too!

Another thing that helps me out the most is getting a moby wrap. If you go to mobywrap.com you'll see what it is. It's a wrap where the baby is held close to your body. I didn't mind holding my baby because my midwife said that holding her wouldn't spoil her, after all she was held for 9 months in the belly. The sound of your heartbeat will also calm you baby down.

The funny thing with Bella is that she falls asleep at the sound of crickets. We have this homedics clock that gives different sounds and one of them is the sound of crickets. I can just lay her on the bed and she'll fall asleep on her own! It's was an amazing discovery!

Now, the gripe water did work for Bella. It knocks her out about 1/2 an hour after taking it. Colic Calm worked for her. I don't know if that's what you've given her. I've actually given her 3 things which I alternate in giving her. That Colic Calm, this normal gripe water from the natural food store and Mylicon. I found that her body gets used to one type of remedy so she's start her crying spells and so I give her the normal gripe water if I've given her the Mylicon. At one point, I gave her the Mylicon in the morning after she eats and that seems to help. Now, I give her the gripe water every night before she goes to bed. Except for the Mylicon, these are natural so I don't worry about any side effects. Now if she starts crying for no reason, I give her the colic calm because that seems to help her out the most.

If your baby lifts her knees up towards her chest, one of them being higher than the other and she turns all red in the face, it's probably colic. This is how the chiropractor said we could tell. Also I noticed Bella squirming and back would be in an arc and then curl back to the opposite when she's crying in pain.

I know this is a long response. I just understand how it's like. Bella started her crying spells 4 weeks from when she was born. She's just now getting better and I'm crossing my fingers that she'll continue to get better. My sleeping pattern is still out of whack because of Bella: now that she's sleeping pretty good at night, I'm all awake coz I'm so used to being up all night.

I hope at least one of these things that I suggested can help you out. I guess you'll also discover things that your baby likes too.
Quoting glory70:

I tried some Gripe water from the health store that has not seem to help. I bought it on the 7th and it is now the 10th. I have other health conditions that have come on since her birth and the crying is driving my insane. My infant is now 5 weeks old and she does nothing but cry all day. I can't lay her in her crib, bassinet or swing for more than 10 minutes before she starts crying to be held. Then matters only get worse at night when she has these episodes where she cries for a couple hours staraight which appears to be for no reason. I need help. I don't know if te daytime crying is from her being held to much and she is now use to someone picking her up everytime she cries, and the night time crying, whethter that is colic, and what to do. I bought the gripe water that they speak of on the internet and this does not seems to relieve the crying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)