Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking a deep breath....

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

Well Hubby has just officially joined the ranks of the unemployed. Trying very hard not to panic and over react to the situation. But my head is saying "We're broke, We're doomed"  Any positive thoughts and tips for getting through the next few days/weeks would be welcome...

(we do have savings to live on, and very few credit bills)

Ima tell you something and it's just gonna be between you and me. I think folks carry on about heaven too much, like it's some kind of all you can eat buffet up in the clouds and folks just do as they told so they can eat what they want behind some pearly gates. ... What's your heaven?
Reverend R. L., Black Snake Moan

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

You're blessed to have some savings to fall back on and even more blessed to not have many credit bills . . . I'm so sorry to hear you're in this situation though.

I wish I had words of wisdom for you, I suppose all I can say is keep hope and faith that he'll find new work soon. Don't let the stress come between you . . . {{{hugs}}}

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM

with unemployment  hopefully you won't have to dip into your savings to much.I pray he will find another job fast {HUGS}

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM

My S/O was unemployed for 22 mos, and being a senior jobs were not available very easily. I'm on SS disability per my deceased DD. Anyway, we spent less and he got on unemployment very FAST. We learned to spend A LOT less, and my S/O fixed things around the house that really needed fixing up. We had very little CRT-Cd debt also, but it's still a chg. What ever you do, don't push him or nag him about getting a job, but do make sure he signs up for unemployment on the Internet right away. Good luck, some how it will work out. My S/O finally did get a really good job after 22 mos after no call back on sev resumes, so don't get discouraged along the way.!!

Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Awww sorry :(
However lucky you have a savings & no cc debt!
Hoping he finds work soon :)

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I am sorry to hear this.  It is good that you have some savings and I hope he's finds somethings else soon.  God Bless! 

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Thinking of you... I am in the same situation except I used up all my saving already... We put a freeze on our insursance for 30 days.. I got rid of gamefly and downgraded my netflix.. I don't have any credit card bills thank goodness... I also shop by the month so we are set food wise too...  Good luck !! 

by Nancy on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM

My brother lost his job not long ago.  He found a job he didn't like and didn't pay well but it was an income while he was looking for something better.  He got a better job not long ago with a company he got laid off from a few years back.  You never know.  Something good will come along.   

by Esme on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Cut all luxuries out asap. Try and cut your grocery bill to half and make meals that will last for a couple of meals.  I am so sorry this is happening to you and your DH. 

by Group Admin on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Sorry about your situation.

Put the word out that he is looking for a job. I know a lot of people finding work that way. It may be a temp situation, but it is work!

My SO is currently unemployed. What was supposed to be for a month ended up being since Jan. 1! We just got word that he should be called back in May. Our fingers are crossed! For all of us!!!!

by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Go online and file for unemployment first.  Then check out companies he is interested in working for.  Many employers now want people to apply online and they will have a career link on their websites.  At least register with a resume' to these employers that way he will have a "step up" even if they're not hiring right now with his resume' being in there...also if he goes in and just "refreshes" his resume' from time to time it will "bump" it up to be visiable. 

Register with, YahooJobs, CareerBuilder as well.  If he doesn't mind contract work have him register with employment agencies in your area, might not be full time or permanent but it will be a job, will expand his unemployment longer if he needs it later on and keeps him in the job market and his skills fresh. 

Take classes in something that he isn't familiar with but might be interested in doing.  Learning something new could make him more employable as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)