• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom with College kids!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi my name is Ellen and I have two boys...22 and 19...can't believe how fast they have grown up from the cute little toddlers... 

I am an " on again/off again" working mom, who has had FT, PT and flex jobs and am in between jobs now and thinking about going back fiulltime....curious about other moms with or without jobs...

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darmomusaf
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 6:40 AM

I have two "kids", a boy, Darrin,23, member of the United States Air Force, and a daughter, Jami, 21, a college student. Gotta agree with how fast they have grown up. I work full time as an Activity Director at a Long Term Care, Skilled nursing facility. I have worked since the kids were little.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM

When my sons were in college I found that increasing my hours helped with finances greatly.  After they graduated, I kept up my hours for the extra income.  But a downside was that I had to let my garden go- I couldn't keep up with the weeds and the food preservation and work increased hours both.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Welcome to the group,
Hope to see you here often :)

country50gal
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Hi Ellen,

Been there done that...It was gut wrenching when the first one left.  And it was equally as hard when the next two left.  I had three kids in school at the same time.  The oldest is still in school!  She has two under grad and a masters and is now in law school.  But, they all moved a distance away.  Good for them, bad for mama. 

I refused to be a helicopter parent.   Some of my son's friends had helicopter parents.  Those boys are now graduating and still can't balance a checkbook or buy groceries with money they have earned themselves.  Those boys are a bunch of educated dummies.  My oldest and youngest child have thanked me for not hoovering and allowing them to grow up.

I am finally used to the quiet and solitude.  I am disabled so I am not able to drive 23 miles to town to work.  For one thing, I can't drive now.  So, I didn't have a choice about going back to work.  I would love to be able to just for the chance to get out and interact with people.  It is really important that you find something to do to keep you busy.  If you are busy, you won't be so lonely and sad.  After a while, you will used to the absence of your children.

It is good that they leave and become independent.  That is what is suppose to happen. 

Get busy!!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM

welcome to the group!

I am Lisa, I have 2 boys ages 22 and 13 and 2 girls ages 20 and 19

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Hi Ellen.  Welcome to our group!  I often look at pictures of my kids when they were little and wonder how did the time go by so quickly?

My daughter is nearly 31 and lives about 20 miles south of me.  She is finally starting to figure out things on her own!

My son will be 21 next month and it seems he has always known how to handle things on his own.  He goes to college in California.

I work at home, as a medical transcriptionist. I have four of my own clients so I start work at 4:30 in the morning M-F to get their work done, and then on to my full-time job for a company in Florida 8-5:30.  I work 7 days a week for them because the pay sucks.  I send my son money every month while he's in college for rent, food, etc. It's not much but I do work about 80 hours a week right now. At least I'm at home and don't have the added expense of commuting.

CoeyG
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Well I'm a mom on disability.  I worked up until the economy trashed my job, I was three months shy of my probationary period being up and hired as permanent.  After that a visit to the doctor revealed a plethora of problems that put me on SSI...so I guess I'm a SAHM now

zboys
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Hi, Ellen!  I have three sons with the oldest one in college and the other two in high school.  I'm looking for a part-time job but am also gearing up to do some more painting in the house this summer.

pjackson01
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Hello!  I'm also knew to the group. I have two sons who have grown up way too fast.  I wish they were younger again and I didn't have to worry about them driving or being away at school.  I've been a stay at home mom and probably have been to protective of each of them. 

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Hi Ellen!

I'm Amy... my oldest son left college at the end of fall semester last year.  Eventually he plans to return to school, transferring to somewhere more local, to finish up his degree.  He has about 1, maybe 2, semesters to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)