Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brush fires, forest fires!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM
  • 18 Replies

Do you live in an area that's common for fires?

I do and it was hard to breathe out there today with all the brush fires everywhere.

Orlando was pretty bad this morning but its better at my house. I hope we get more rain to put some of them out!

It used to rain everyday in the summer at 2 pm like clockwork but it hasn't done that in years. Wonder why? We never used to have this problem.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
r_luvli
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM
Thankfully I don't, but I remember driving to FL one year to pick my kids up from their summer visit with their dad. There were fires then, I never saw any flames, but I was driving through a lot of smoke. It kind of scared me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiredmom53
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM

We do have fires up here in the mountains but our National Forest fire squad keeps them control so far they have not been as bad as Florida. Yes I moved from Ft Lauderdale and some of them fires are really bad. It seems our forest control is more equipted then down south.

Shellness
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

One thing that is weird about Florida is the fires burn underground. There is so much peat and bogs deep in the ground in the woods that the fires can burn underground for months!

Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I wonder if my brother is having problems.  He lives north of Orlando in Lake Mary.  I don't remember having those kinds of fires here in Ohio. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:00 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM

No thank goodness,
Wow on that in Orlando .. will have to ask my son then if he could smell/breathe it oo ..

txmom-o-3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I think our entire state is prone to fires.  When we had fires all over a couple of months ago, the closest one to us was a good 2 1/2 -3 hours away, but our sky was just hazy and we'd have ash on the cars every morning, and it was miserable.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

We have had several bad brush/forest fires in our area of North Central PA, but none this year. It was an uncommonly wet spring, so we have been very lucky this year. Sometimes people are burning trash or leaves in their yards and the fire gets away from them and then the forestry department and local volunteer fire departments have a big job on their hands.

As for the smoke, there have been times when there is a big fire in Canada and we can smell the smoke in my town.That hasn't happened for awhile.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Hope they get the fires under controll soon!

CoeyG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM

No, thank goodnes I have never lived where fires were an issue all that much.  Living in Northern California though (near Sacramento) we would sometimes get the smokey air from fires further north east of us.  I also have friends who live in San Diego who have just missed having their home damaged by fires more than once. 

raini65
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Quoting Shellness:

Do you live in an area that's common for fires?

I do and it was hard to breathe out there today with all the brush fires everywhere.

Orlando was pretty bad this morning but its better at my house. I hope we get more rain to put some of them out!

It used to rain everyday in the summer at 2 pm like clockwork but it hasn't done that in years. Wonder why? We never used to have this problem.

We have had an awful lot of brush fires up here in Flagler county and also Volusia county. It smells terrible. I drove down the 95 the other day to Daytona and there was so much smoke across the highway you could not see! We really really need some rain. My bushes,plants and lawn are all wilting.

I remember when you could set your watch by what time it would rain in the summer also!!! Don't know what happened to that either but I wish it would come back!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)