• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you have handled this situation?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM
  • 17 Replies

My nephew is 9 years old and is being bullied by a few kids his age in the neighborhood. There is one boy that is the instigator and he is also getting the other kids in the neighborhood to pick on my nephew. My nephew is afraid of these kids and won't stick up for himself.  I feel really bad that this kids are picking on him. Last year my nephew and these kids were in my sister's back yard and they were teasing my nephew and pushing him, no one got hurt though. My sister and brother in-law were in the house and saw what was happening.  My brother in-law called the cops on these kids. I told her that I thought it was a little extreme to call the cops on 7 and 8 year old. I told her she should of went outside and told the kids to stop or call their parents. What would you have done in this situation? Would you have called the cops or called these kids parents or let the kids work it out for themselves?  When the cops did show up they just talked to the kids. I don't think it made a difference to these kids because they're still teasing my nephew.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
9 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Aww so sad to hear this,
Someone needs to speak to the kids parents & tell then what's going on,
Your nephew will need to share/tell what the other kids are doing too.
I hope someone steps in as this is just awful for your nephew :(

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM

I would have called the parents

sonogal
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

IMO calling the cops was the right thing to do.  Calling the parents won't help - they will deny their "precious child" could ever be such a bully.  Most parents have a blind spot when it comes to their kids.  If it happens at school  your sis & BIL have to report it to the principal - every time it happens.  They will have to earn their son's trust and help him to understand that telling them about each incident is the only way to make it stop.  The authorities (school and police if need be) need to know the bully's name.  Crap kids deserve crap reputations.

Back when I was a kid - you could just throw a punch at the bully and it would be done - those days are gone. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I think they should have talked to the parents especially since it was 2 picking on one.  I don't like to hear about stuff like this but I know that it happens.  I just think the parents was the right place to start and then if you don't see anything happening then it's time to change up the game plan.  I'm sorry they are picking on your nephew.  It's a shame that it happens so much now.  In my growing up years we had bullies but not to the extent that they do now.   Keep us posted about it.   :)

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I would be teaching my child serious self-defense. If it continued after my childs attempt, or my child didn't feel comfortable.....if they were in my yard, I would invite the leader into my home - away from the crowd - and I would lay my hands on him in such a way that he would get the message and nobody would know I put my hands on him. And I would speak in such a way that he would know what real intimidation is. 

CoeyG
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Yes calling the cops was extreme.  Now your nephew has that reputation and it has caused him to be bullied for which he can thank his father.  What should have been done was that your sister and her husband gone on out there and told the kids to go home period.  As it was they set their son up for more ridicule and bullying.  

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Calling the police does seem a bit extreme unless this wasn't the first time that this has happened. I am thinking that the husband may have felt that a man in uniform might have just scared the boys enough to make this stop. The unfortunate thing is that bullying has become more and more commonplace.  I hope that your nephew can be open with his parents and other adults and talk to them when this happens again.

Shellness
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM

My husband stutters. He was bullied badly through elementary school. Hit, pushed, made fun of, spit on, then he made a decision with some prompting from his step father.

He started fighting back. He was in the office almost everyday. He didn't care. It didn't take long for the bullying to stop and if a new kid came along they warned him to not make fun of him.

By the time he was in High School he had tons of friends and a nickname. "Crazy Gary".

Sometimes with bullies, you just have to stand up for yourself and let them know you aren't going to be abused anymore.

Shellness
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I would be teaching my child serious self-defense. If it continued after my childs attempt, or my child didn't feel comfortable.....if they were in my yard, I would invite the leader into my home - away from the crowd - and I would lay my hands on him in such a way that he would get the message and nobody would know I put my hands on him. And I would speak in such a way that he would know what real intimidation is. 

Dang! You sound like me! Is your nickname "Mama Bear" too? LOL

naniof3
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM

talked to the parents first, then the police, if that doesn't workm he should learn to fight back... i live with a bully, and i have learned to fight back, and it works...  sometimes the words, the taunting etc hurts worse than actual physical contact.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)