Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seeing a counselor

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm taking my DD to see a counselor tomorrow. She has a hard time dealing with her medical issues and it's giving her some anxiety that I've noticed and some depression.

She is resisting going. I think it will help her and her doctors keep telling me its important.

Have you ever had a child that needed to go but resisted? How did you handle it? I'm hoping if I stick it out eventually she'll come around and get some benefit from it.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Shellness
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

bump

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Yes, I had Chad in counseling and he definitely didn't want to go but after the first few visits he admitted it was helping him.  I wish I had some control over him NOW but as we all know...I don't.  lol  Stick with it and I feel sure it will help her.  They never want to go and open up I don't think but it could make a world of difference.  Good luck and keep us posted.   :)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM

While I have not I think it is a great idea you are doing this for her,
Yes stick it out as I believe it will help her in the long run :)

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I don't have any good advice in this area, but wanted to say I wish her the best and hope she is able to make it to the counselor okay!

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Aug. 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM

My only experience with a kid and counseling is when we had a foster son several years ago - he hated going (and in other foster homes had been in counseling so had become very adept in telling the counseler exactly what he knew she wanted to hear).  I do think in some instances counseling can be very effective and it is my hope you will find it beneficial. In our case it was not helpful.

Alta2008
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Yes I have my daughter was 14 at the time, And the closer it got the more she didn't want to go. I just sit down with her and we talked about it, And I made a deal with her if after going for 5 visits if she still didn't want to go, then we would talk about it and she can quit going, She agreed but after the 5 visit, she relized the councelor wasn't so bad, and she continued going. Its worth a try, it help my daughter a lot, and she was glad I talked her into giving it a try. Good Luck your in my prayers...

Shellness
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Her first visit was Friday and she liked the woman. Hopefully it will help :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)