Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Houseguests (vent!)

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM
  • 19 Replies
Love em? Hate em? How do you feel?
DH & I have different opinions....he will invite anyone, anytime for however long they want to stay. Problem is, he doesn't get the beds ready, clean the bathroom, wash the towels, etc. He says none of that matters to anyone but me. Seriously, would you want to go to someones house and sleep on sheets that may not have been washed, shower in a bathroom that was not clean? How gross! He has a friend that asked a few weeks ago if he and his GF could stay one night....apparently they are coming next weekend and staying Friday, maybe Saturday, maybe Sunday. I told DH they could stay Fri & Sat but had to leave Sunday (it is MY weekend after all) and DH told me I will have to tell them. Basically his friend comes before me. (His friend only lives 2 hrs away). If this was someone I liked it would be different....but this guy has been known to pull a Dupree (stay and stay and stay). And he's bringing his GF who I've never even met. And they are heavy smokers. Ugh! Ok vent over!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Ever hear of the word "no".  If he is hell bent on his friends coming for the weekend and you don't want to be around them smoking book a motel room and stay there for the weekend.  Let him put up with taking care of their needs.  If they make a major mess and don't clean up hire a cleaning service and charge it all to him.  The only way these people can walk all over you (your husband included) is if you become a doormatt.  

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Maybe if you take your DH's advice and NOT wash the sheets, clean the bathroom, etc., his friends would not be as apt to just drop by and stay a while!  take it a step further and sprinkle some salt between the sheets, smear toothpaste in the sink and all over the faucets in the guest bathroom, grunge up the tub/shower, etc.  LOL.  And THEN check into that motel for the weekend!

.Holly.
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Lol love it.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Maybe if you take your DH's advice and NOT wash the sheets, clean the bathroom, etc., his friends would not be as apt to just drop by and stay a while!  take it a step further and sprinkle some salt between the sheets, smear toothpaste in the sink and all over the faucets in the guest bathroom, grunge up the tub/shower, etc.  LOL.  And THEN check into that motel for the weekend!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DesignGirl450
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Your husband is being really disrespectful towards you by just letting his friends come and stay as long as it is convenient for them.  As it is HIS friend, he should be the one to tell them that you can only put them up for two nights.  An also that they can't smoke in the house - hopefully that will deter them from wanting to stick around for long.

.Holly.
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Personally, I wouldn't allow the smoking in the house. If they know you guys don't smoke, ask them nicely to smoke outdoors while they are there.  Otherwise, that's just rude IMO.

sonogal
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:27 AM
Oh I ABSOLUTELY don't allow amoking in the house, but then they come in and sleep and everything smells like stale smoke. That includes DH who smokes like a chimney (in the garage). I hate smoking. I'm ok with 2 nights but what got me was my DH's disrespect for my wishes. And I just won't have a dirty house for guests - its a nice thought but I can't do that to ANYONE. I was raised by the Golden Rule :)
And if you ask for 1 night, don't change it by making it 2....this is a vacation, not an emergency.
Thanks for all your thoughts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM

We have house guests often. I always provide clean beds and bathrooms. But I never allow smoking in my house ever. They can step out on the front porch if they need to smoke. I also don't wait on anyone. I tell them to make themselves at home and don't wait for me to serve them. They can get their own treats and beverages and if they need clean laundry, I show them where the washer & dryer are. But when it's someone I don't like....they aren't allowed to come here anyway.

Your problem is your husband, not his friend. 

Shellness
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I've never had that problem! My house has always been too full of kids for people to stay I guess!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I've never had that problem thank goodness.  If I were you I would let them know RIGHT away that smoking is NOT allowed in my house.  That would be the first thing.  Then the next thing I would do is be extremely busy.  I would be running here and there all weekend.  I would say...I'm sorry that you came on a weekend when I had so many plans or something like that.  I wouldn't go out of my way to cook or wait on them etc....Let dh deal with it.  He wants them there so bad....let him take care of them.  But I can tell you this....the first time they lit up a cig in my house he wouldn't have to worry about them leaving or coming back because I would go off.  Now, I use to smoke but didn't smoke in the house and wouldn't allow it.  Dh could like that or not.  Just my opinion.   Good luck and let us know what happens. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM

LOL   You are a mess!!    :)

Quoting suzeebloch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)