Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Just wanted to say hello

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2007 at 8:27 AM
  • 5 Replies
Hi, my name is Debi and I am 45.  I have 4 adult children.  For the most part they have done good, but my oldest daugher (22) has gotten involved in drugs.  She has a 5 year old son that she lost to his dad.  She has 14 month old twins that I now have custody of, she also lost a baby a few months ago, but none of it has made her hit bottom to get off the drugs.  I am honestly at a loss as to how to help her.
by on Nov. 14, 2007 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Theresa65
by on Nov. 14, 2007 at 8:55 PM
Well I just have to say those babies are lucky to have you.
You can only do so much, she has to want to get help first !
I had a cousin that left 3 of her children (yrs apart) and every time my aunt tried to help, she got screwed.
It sure is not easy.
Good luck to you.
This a great place to find friends and support.

Theresa

debi41863
by on Nov. 15, 2007 at 7:31 AM
Theresa,
Thank you for your kind words. 
Jill820
by on Nov. 16, 2007 at 9:22 PM
Debi - You are not alone. Many parents of  adult children are caring for their grandchildren. You are an angel for caring for your twin grandchildren. Has your daughter ever sought help? Drugs are unbelievably strong and grab hold of an entire person's soul. You should be commended for what you are doing. Just keep on keepin on! God will help, I have 4 adult sons and although they all experimented with drugs in their younger years, I am so thankful drugs never took over their existence. Good luck and God bless. Jill
debi41863
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 9:54 AM
Unfortuantely she hasn't tried to get any help yet and I just found out she is pregnant again
sacdp29
by on Nov. 18, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Those grandchildren are lucky that you are in their life.  But I know from experience that when someone is involved with drugs and/or alcohol that they have to hit bottom.  And some never get help. 
unfortunately if they don't want help, noone can make them.  Just take care of those grandchildren and remember that you are giving them a much better life and just pray that someday your daughter will seek help for herself.
I will keep her in my prayers, and you too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN