Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great Grandmother going into rehab center

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:15 AM
  • 10 Replies

Its my husbands. She is declining. She can't take care of herself at all anymore. God I hate to see this happen. My husband is so close to her! She can't even walk to go to the bathroom. I don't see her getting better but she may surprise us.

If she dies, I'm running away. My husband won't be fit to have anyone around him. I know its going to happen, just dread it for him. Not so much for her. She will be happy and pain free with her "Heavenly Body".

Anyone know how I feel? Been through this lately. I know many of you have to have.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Last year from the months of June through September I lost my Great Aunt, and both grandfathers...it is hard to see but it was also a relief to know they were no longer suffering. Perhaps your hubby will surprise you and be sad but also happy that she is no longer in pain.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Am sorry to hear this :(
Tough for all of you & will keep good thoughts :)

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I do know how you are feeling and I am so sorry for your family.  I lost my younger sister just 6 months ago (in fact, while I was in the hospital having lung surgery) she went on hospice and died with me not even getting an opportunity to say goodbye.  She had been bed ridden for a couple years and had severe congestive heart disease.  On one hand, I could  be happy that she didn't have to suffer anymore - that she could dance with Jesus, but on the other hand the pain that I feel that she is gone is sometimes more than I can bear.

ceashell707
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM

My grandmother raised me, 3 years before she passed, my mother, father and brother passed.  EVeryone would joke with me saying that when my grandmother passed, they were going to have me drugged and admitted immediatly because they knew I would not be able to handle it.  And they were correct.  My world crashed.  Nothing gave me joy, and everything I did, I would think about her, even after a year, I bought my house and I cried for days because she wasn't there to see it.  

My family had to have an intervention because I would camp out at her grave site, I would say I was going to the store and go there. 

If your husband is going to be like I was, my best advice is to just allow him to go through his motions, don't tell him you know how he feels (this was so annoying), the less words the better.  Is his great grandmother lucid?  Make sure he spends time with her, and before she passes, talk to him about letting go and closure.  My biggest problem was I didn't get to say goodbye because she never woke up from a diabetic coma.  

Best of luck, my prayers are with your husband.  

ceashell707
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Quoting mac1940:

I do know how you are feeling and I am so sorry for your family.  I lost my younger sister just 6 months ago (in fact, while I was in the hospital having lung surgery) she went on hospice and died with me not even getting an opportunity to say goodbye.  She had been bed ridden for a couple years and had severe congestive heart disease.  On one hand, I could  be happy that she didn't have to suffer anymore - that she could dance with Jesus, but on the other hand the pain that I feel that she is gone is sometimes more than I can bear.

I'm so sorry for your loss!  My brother died 10 years ago, and I can tell you you never get over it and sometimes, no its not any easier.  But just yesterday I was talking to my sister and we were laughing about how much of a cry baby he was as a child.  Find a way to honor her and I know its cheesy but so true, she lives in your memories, keep her alive and share her with your family as often as possible.  

Shellness
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Quoting LadySaphira:

Last year from the months of June through September I lost my Great Aunt, and both grandfathers...it is hard to see but it was also a relief to know they were no longer suffering. Perhaps your hubby will surprise you and be sad but also happy that she is no longer in pain.

I'm sorry you had to loose so many so quickly. No he won't surprise me. He's the biggest cupcake I know.

Shellness
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Quoting hugss:

Am sorry to hear this :(
Tough for all of you & will keep good thoughts :)

Thanks hugss

Shellness
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Quoting mac1940:

I'm sorry ou feel that pain too. I have never lost a sister, but a brother.

Shellness
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Quoting ceashell707:

My grandmother raised me, 3 years before she passed, my mother, father and brother passed.  EVeryone would joke with me saying that when my grandmother passed, they were going to have me drugged and admitted immediatly because they knew I would not be able to handle it.  And they were correct.  My world crashed.  Nothing gave me joy, and everything I did, I would think about her, even after a year, I bought my house and I cried for days because she wasn't there to see it.  

My family had to have an intervention because I would camp out at her grave site, I would say I was going to the store and go there. 

If your husband is going to be like I was, my best advice is to just allow him to go through his motions, don't tell him you know how he feels (this was so annoying), the less words the better.  Is his great grandmother lucid?  Make sure he spends time with her, and before she passes, talk to him about letting go and closure.  My biggest problem was I didn't get to say goodbye because she never woke up from a diabetic coma.  

Best of luck, my prayers are with your husband.  

I'm sorry ceashell. You had a hard time for sure. Blessings to you for pulling through.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I'm so sorry.  I feel bad for your dh AND for you!!  It would be nice if she would surprise everyone and get better.  I will remember you and your family in my prayers.  Hang in there!!    :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)