Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I thought this might be a good way to learn some new things to cook.  If you're like me you get tired of the same old things. I tried this meat loaf last night and it was to die for!

Paula Deen Meat Loaf

1 lb. ground beef

1 1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper

1 egg, lightly beaten

8 oz petite diced tomatoes with juice

1/2 c.quick cooking oats

Topping:

1/3 c. catsup

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon mustard

Mix all topping ingredients together....set aside

Mix all meat loaf ingredients together and put in a loaf baking pan.  Spread topping on loaf.

Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.

I've never had a meat loaf with diced tomatoes but it's delicious!

by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Replies (321-330):
KittyGram
by Becky on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM

I'm watching my carbs, so I made a few changes to this recipe. 

Quinoa still has plenty of carbs, but it also has a lot of protein, so for me, it's a much better choice than rice.  

This was very very good!  If you like curry dishes (I know not everyone does), give it a try!  I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Coconut Curry Chicken

Salu-salo.com (MY CHANGES IN PARENTHESES)

Prep Time 20 mins   Cook Time 50 mins   Total Time 1 hrs 10 mins

Servings: 6 servings  412 calories; 23 g fat; 94 mg cholesterol; 322 mg sodium; 16 g carbs; 4 g fiber; 12 g sugars; 37 g protein

2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch chunks

Salt and pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (OLIVE OIL)

2 tablespoons curry powder

1/2 onion, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk

1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomato, drained

1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce

3 tablespoons sugar (1 PKT STEVIA)

Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper.

Mix curry powder and oil. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the curry oil mixture. Heat curry oil for 1 minute.

Add garlic and onions and cook for 1 minute.

Add chicken chunks and toss lightly to coat with the curry oil mixture.

Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.

Pour coconut milk, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.

Serve immediately, over rice (QUINOA). 

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM

Squash Casserole:

2-14oz. cans Bruces Yellow Squash*

1/4 cup onion,diced

1/4 cup bell pepper, diced

1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1 large egg, beaten

1/4 cup parsley, chopped

4 TBSP butter

1/2 tsp sugar

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sute onion and bell pepper in butter until wilted. Combine with drained squash.

Fold in cheese,sugar,egg,salt and pepper.

Pour into 1 quart greased casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs and parsley(optional). Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

*I have also used fresh cooked(boiled) yellow squash(sliced about 1/2 inch thick),about 4 cups total. And I also add a little Old Bay seasoning to mine and more shredded cheese on top.

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM

Low Carb Chicken Parmesan in a Skillet

Lowcarbmaven.com

Prep Time 7 mins     Cook Time 35 mins    Total Time 42 mins

Servings: 6    Calories: 350 cal    calories from Fat 171    Total Fat 19g   Cholesterol 156mg     Sodium 870mg     Potassium 588mg   Total Carbohydrates 7g     Dietary Fiber 1g

1 1/2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken breasts about 3-4 large breast halves

salt and pepper

Seasoned Crumb / Breading Mixture

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)

1 cup crushed pork rinds (1 oz)

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/4 teaspoon granulated onion

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 large eggs, beaten

2 tablespoons olive oil

Finishing Ingredients

2 cups low carb Marinara Sauce (I use Rao's)

6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)

Preheat the oven to 350 and place the rack in the middle position. Place the cast iron skillet over medium heat and let it begin heating.

Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper.

Mix the ingredients for the crumb mixture on a dinner plate. Beat the eggs in a bowl large and shallow enough to accommodate a piece of chicken.

When the skillet is hot, add the oil and begin... Starting with the largest to smallest chicken breast, pick up a piece of chicken with a fork and place into the egg mixture, coating both sides. Let the excess drip off, then place it on top of the crumb mixture. Flip it over with the fork and with the opposite hand, push the crumb mixture around the sides of the chicken making sure it is completely coated (it will be lightly coated) on all sides. Pick it up with the fork and gently place it into the skillet. Repeat the process for all of the chicken.

Set the timer for 3 minutes and let the chicken cook undisturbed. Then, starting with the largest chicken breast, flip all of the chicken over. Turn off the heat and top the Chicken Parmesan with any remaining crumb mixture. Then spoon the sauce over each chicken breast.

Place the skillet in the oven, uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove and top the skillet chicken parmesan with the cheeses and place an oiled piece of aluminum foil over the top. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes until the cheese has melted.

Let rest for several minutes before serving.

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Loaded Cauliflower Casserole

Dearcrissy.com

8 slices of bacon, fried crispy

1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon ranch seasoning

¼ teaspoon black pepper

1 cup shredded Colby & Monterey jack cheese (Colby Jack)

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

6 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided

Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Spray a 11×7 or a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Fry bacon in a large skillet until crispy and crumble. Set aside.

Steam cauliflower until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Combine your sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch seasoning, black pepper in a large bowl. Add the steamed cauliflower florets, 1/2 of the bacon, 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoons chives; mix well. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with your Colby & Monterey jack cheese and the other half of the bacon.

Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes or just until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. 

Garnish casserole with remaining chives.

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 29, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Bake

Delish.com

TOTAL TIME: 0:25   PREP: 0:15

SERVES: 8

3 tbsp. butter

2 small shallots, minced

2 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved

kosher salt

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

3/4 c. heavy cream

1/2 c. grated sharp white cheddar

1/2 c. Gruyère

1/2 c. cooked bacon crumbles (I used a 10 oz. package of maybe Hormel bacon "pieces")

Preheat oven to 375°.

In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and drizzle with cream, then top with cheddar, Gruyère, and bacon.

Bake until heated through and cheese is bubbly, 12 to 15 minutes. (If cheese won't brown, heat under the broiler, 1 minute.)

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 30, 2018 at 10:13 AM
Creamy Farro with Spinach, Garlic & Asiago
from carriesexperimentalkitchen.com

Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 20 mins

Servings4

1 c . Farro, rinsed under cold water 

2 1/2 c . Water

10 oz . Fresh Baby Spinach

2 Cloves Garlic, minced

1/4 c . Asiago Cheese, shredded

1 tbsp . Butter

Kosher Salt & Black Pepper, to taste

Add the farro and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat and allow to simmer until the water is absorbed; approximately 15 minutes. (Depending on the type of farro you use, cooking time may vary).

Tear the spinach leaves and add them to the pot along with the garlic, cheese and butter. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve hot or warm.

debra-ruth
by on Feb. 24, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I need a receipe to cook fresh salmon. i have looked and so far nothing catches my eye 

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 24, 2018 at 6:27 PM
I'm here searching for a salmon recipe that I hope I posted.... I'll let you know if I find it!

Quoting debra-ruth:

I need a receipe to cook fresh salmon. i have looked and so far nothing catches my eye 

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 24, 2018 at 6:32 PM
Found it!!!

Mushroom and Onion Fish

2 servings 6 weight watchers SP's w/ cod or orange roughy; 10 SP's w/ salmon

8 oz. cod, orange roughy, or salmon (ive only used fresh cod so far... trting with salmon tonight)

8 oz. or more Mushrooms

One bunch or more green onion (I've also used chopped yellow onion, and it's very good)

Tarragon, to taste (I'm not especially fond of it anyway, so I use dried dillweed)

2 T. Butter or butter flavored spray (i use Olive oil)

Salt and pepper

Heat oven to 450.

Slice the green onion. Chop mushrooms, then sauté them in a tiny amount of butter or butter spray. When about half done, add in the green onions and tarragon.

When the mushrooms are soft, put fish in a oven safe dish coated with butter spray. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour the mushroom mixture over the fish and cover with foil. Cook in the oven 20-25 minutes depending on thickness of the fish.

Quoting debra-ruth:

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 27, 2018 at 10:04 AM

From eatingwell.com

Chickpea Curry (Chhole)

Serves 6   Serving size: about 1 cup    278 calories; 15 g fat(1 g sat); 6 g fiber; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 75 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars  354 mg sodium

Active time:  15 min.    Ready in:  15 min.

1 medium serrano pepper, cut into thirds

4 large cloves garlic

1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1-inch)

6 tablespoons canola oil or grapeseed oil

2 teaspoons ground coriander

2 teaspoons ground cumin

½ teaspoon ground turmeric

2¼ cups no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes with their juice (from a 28-ounce can)

¾ teaspoon kosher salt

2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed

2 teaspoons garam masala

Fresh cilantro for garnish

Pulse serrano, garlic and ginger in a food processor until minced. Scrape down the sides and pulse again. Add onion; pulse until finely chopped, but not watery.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Pulse tomatoes in the food processor until finely chopped. Add to the pan along with salt. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.

Add chickpeas and garam masala, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more.

Serve topped with cilantro, if desired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)