Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Michelle Duggar 20 kids

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
  • 96 Replies

I am fascinated with this family and how they all love each other and make things work, but...Michelle is pregnant again with baby #20.

When Michelle had her last baby she suffered life threatening health problems and also so did that precious Josie,

My emotions bother me.

What if something, God forbid, happens to Michelle will the older girls have to give up their lives to raise the younger one's?

Michelle is 45, Is she taking a risk when she should think of her other children?

What do you think and there's no right or wrong answer here, just thought we'd share opinions/concerns:-)

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceashell707
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM
5 moms liked this

I think its selfish to continue to have babies at that age, when there are so many other children depending on you.  I think is selfish because the older kids, are already expected to take care of the younger ones.  

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she might as well go for it. The older ones have been helping to take care of the younger ones all their lives and although I personally don't think that's "right" that's the way they have been raised and the way it is for them.  I would be concerned for my health and that of my unborn child as well, however.  But they are born-again Christians and they firmly believe their children are a gift from God and that their lives are in His hands.  Michelle and Jim Bob seem to have a close relationship and from what I've heard they are financially independent.  You'd have to be to have so many children! 

gmadiane
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM

I dont watch the show, I have seen it a few times but not a fan, I really kind of think enough is enough

CoeyG
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I'm not fascinated by them, have never seen the show, not interested in seeing it.  My thoughts are, it is her body, her decision what it is going to be used for.  They seem like a loving, supportive family, they live simply and all seem to be happy and thriving.  Whether the mom takes this risk or not is totally up to her and her husband and their family and not up to anyone else to determine.

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I think she is crazy.  Nobody needs 20 kids.  I had a friend who had 7 and she told me that after 4 you don't notice a difference. 

homeskoolmama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

This is her 21st pregnancy. They lost a baby due to miscarriage several years back.

Their live, their choice.

I think they are amazing in that their faith is so strong they weather the media and comments of Americans on their lives. Yes, they have a tv show and so that in itself puts them on the stand for ridicule. However, ppl and media can be so cruel.

I do not watch the show as I do not have cable or satellite, but when I have seen it, it amazes me how structured and calm the house is for having that many kids.

She is a very calm, soft spoken, strong woman. JimBob gets on my nerves. Not sure why.

Their life is very Christ centered, their children are respectful, resourceful and the girls will def. know how to run a home.

peacefulstar7
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi all,

I've got hair color on my hair and then I have to vacuum, so I only have a bit to be on here, lol!

I do watch the show and for throughout the 30 minute program their kids are happy, seem well adjusted and are kind to each other. I had 5 children and my kids fought most of the time, yelled at each other and there was no way mine would behave for 30 minutes, lol!

I've never heard Michelle raise her voice, yet her children listen to her every word. Wish I knew this woman's secret.

All of these children adore their parents and admire them and you can see this by watching their show. 

Although I don't agree with them having another child--only because of Michelle's health problems and the fact that Josie was born gravely ill but is doing perfectly fine now, I wish them well and yes, their faith is amazing and if you ever get the chance to hear them sing and play their violins and harps, you won't ever forget it as they are very talented.

I guess if I had to have my kids all over again, I could only wish Michelle would share her parenting expertise with me:-)   

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I think she is nuts. I think those older girls (notice not boys) have ALREADY had to give up their lives to raise their younger siblings and that's just wrong.

I watched the show one time. What I saw was them making fun of one of their kids who clearly was crying for attention. They said she was a "funny" child. It made me sick to see. I turned it off and will never watch it again.

I know families that have huge numbers of kids. Kids are always neglected in that situation. Mental illness seems to the rule rather than the exception as well. So, yes, I think it's selfish and crazy. I'm against it. Not that I have any say in it. LOL

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never seen the show. I don't bother with reality shows because they're not reality. We had 8 kids in my family, my mom never yelled or spanked.....but there was the feeling of not enough mom to go around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maw-maw-2002
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Not for me....do not watch the show hope they're having another for them and not the show
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)