Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High school

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • 42 Replies

What were you like in high school? 

Did you love it, hate it, just made it thorough?

If you could go back and do it over/differently, would you and what?

For me, high school was ok. I had a rough home life and wanted out. I was not rich and knew there was no way for me to go to college. No one ever told me about scholarships or grants. I did not want to live in the small town and be married to a plant worker and live pay check to pay check. I took classes I needed to graduate and that was it.

I got married at 16 and left.

I had friends, we did not party or get in trouble. All in all it was ok. But looking back I see I wasted my potential and a lot of time. I did not get involved in groups or clubs.

I would SO do high school over and differently.

How about you?

cat

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I loved high school.  I was a better than average student had many good friends.  I certainly was not the belle of the ball but I managed to snag a date for most of the "important" events.  I was active in the photo club, pep club and on the swim team.  I also belonged to Civil Air Patrol (a civilian auxillary of the Air Force) and participated in search and rescue operations.  I have not realized all of my then dreams - I am not rich and famous, I am a nurse not a pathologist, but I do have a most wonderful husband and 3 equally wonderful kids.

granbaker
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Dear Dawn,  High School was double hell for me.  My parents insisted that I be popular and run with the good group.  I did all this but inside I was rebelling big time.  I liked the not so good groups and wanted to be with them.  They were not prissy and really had a good time.  I managed to be with that group occasionally but with much disapproval from the parents.  If I could go back I would stand my ground.  I really like my self much better and do not want to take that trip.  Remember this was in the 1950s, things are so different now.  Claudette.

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I spent the first 2 years of high school in a catholic school and the last 2 years in a public school.  Loved the first 2 years, hated the last 2 years.  I would not want to go back and do it again. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I hated HS and that is pretty much all there is to say on that matter lol.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

What were you like in high school?

I was quiet except when I did plays.

Did you love it, hate it, just made it thorough?

Hated it.

If you could go back and do it over/differently, would you and what?

I would NEVER want to go back for any reason. I have nightmares that I'm back.

gmadiane
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I was wild as can be, I hated school, knowing what I know now I would have done just about everything differently

peacefulstar7
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't like high school. My home life was difficult also and I never felt good enough to join into groups. I was a pretty good student though and an avid reader.

I got married to get out of the house at 18 and had a child right away, but I married a guy I thought I could fix. Actually he was a lot like my dad who drank and was rarely home.

Getting back to high school, no I wouldn't do a do-over. So proud of myself that I made it through alive, lol!

But if I had to do a do-over I would be more outgoing and I might even try cheer leading as I so wanted to back then. Would have loved to be on the school paper, but again I was way too shy.

I'll never forget my mom telling me that she wanted me to be a housewife like her and stay home with the kids because that's what proper women do. So I did, but before I divorced my loser, I rebelled and enrolled in college--of course he paid for it--and I landed a good paying job and then the kids and I left for a brand new life:-)

ceashell707
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM
I want crazy bout high school. My boyfriend\husband (married at 16, not pregnant, just wanted out of parents house) was in the Army so HS seemed like a waste of time.

I was a bully. I fought constantly. I took other peoples battles up, just so I could fight. I had my homework done for me every day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kam013
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I loved high school, was VP of Student Council, Capt. of the Cheerleading squad and was involved in the Drama club.  I dated the same 3 sport athlete through most of high school.  I was extremely outgoing had lots of friends from all different groups and pretty much got along with everyone. I was fearless!!

I was an above average student, but could have done so much better, had I really put some effort into it.  I loved to write and excelled in English and writing classes.

The class that I graduated with was different from most classes, even the teachers said so.  We all got along and supported each other.  The jocks went to the plays, the band geeks supported the athletes, the computer geeks filmed everyone's stuff and everyone cheered on their work.  I don't know why we were like that, but we just were.  Many, many of us still get together several times a year. 

Couple of things I would do differently is I would probably not date the same guy through most of high school.  Not that it was a bad relationship by any means, but I would want to just experience high school differently.  I would also focus more on the academics, work more on the writing I loved to do, so I could have done more with it once out of school.  Other than that I wouldn't change a thing, loved my friends from high school, still do.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I had a good time in high school.  I had lots of friends.  I wasn't close to my parents so spending time with friends was important.  I should have been more respectful to my teachers though and spent more time on homework!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)