Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mom style = old

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 64 Replies

Do you think that at a certain age, you need to "look" like a mom? You know, a certain hair cut, certain type of clothes , a certain car and so on?

When I got married I was 16. I remember my mom always looked like a mom to me. When I hit 25, I was told by family members that certain things were no longer appropriate. Jeans and tenis shoes for example. yeah....

When I hit 30 I was told I needed to change my hair. Long was for girls not women. At 30 hair should be no longer than shoulder length and after 40 it should be shorter than chin length. Also after 50 you get your hair "done" once a week. (My family)

When I hit 40 I said, SO what do you want me to change now? They did not like that. Go figure.

With 50 approaching at rapid speed. I am expected to change again. Only capri's or crop pants, no shorts and no bathing suits. NOW I don't wear any of these too self conscience. But still, if I could, I would.

I have not complied. Ever.

Do you think women should have short hair when older(0ver 30), even if it doesn't look good or they don't like it because it is an age thing?

Do you think that when cleaning the house, I should wear a house dress now because I am nearing 50?

My family is old fashioned. you'd think I was the one who was 67 and not my mom the way the family acts.

So for the moms that are over 50, did you change at a certain age because it was expected?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Simple answer. No. I think you should look and wear what you feel good in regardless of a number.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM
I'm not over 50, but I will feel the same then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That's how I feel. Does you mother feel that way? Does she pressure you to look "age appropriate"?

I don't wear booty pants, belly shirts or look like I belong on a stripper pole, so why the pressure to look like Mrs. June Cleaver?! grrrr

Does your mom or grandmother do this? Question for everyone.

Quoting .Holly.:

Simple answer. No. I think you should look and wear what you feel good in regardless of a number.

.Holly.
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM
No not at all..if anything its just the opposite. I have a youthful looking/thinking family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I am 64 and wear whatever appeals to me.  If it is hot I wear shorts.  10 years ago my hair was real long because I just never got around to getting it cut.  Now it is short because it is easier for me to take care of.  The way I see it, if people don't like the way I look or what I am wearing they can just stop looking at me and look somewhere else.

CoeyG
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

No I don't think anyone has to conform to a particular "style".  I dress and wear my hair as I do because it is comfortable.  I'm in constant pain and "fashion foward" just does nothing to help me with that.  At least wearing my sweats or yoga pants something with give something that is warm and cozy gives me a sense of ease that helps make the pain more tolerable.  

I have never really liked bathing suits, even when I looked good in them.  I always prefered shorts and tee shirts.  Up until my legs started breaking out and looking horrid (about three years ago) I continued to wear shorts, mostly what they call "walking shorts" they come down to close to the knee, the days of me wearing "hot pants" are long gone LOL.  In the spring and summer I wear crop pants, pedal pushers, clam diggers, whatever you want to call them, or jeans.  If I have to dress up I have some nice lightweight slacks I keep pressed but I rarely wear them.  I also have some nice blouses that I rarely wear and when it comes to wearing shoes with these outfits I opt for my "dressy" loafers (black).  The rest of the time you'll see me in sweats, tees, hoodies, yoga pants, barefooted, or flip flops, and if I have to go out I might put on my jeans and now that it is winter my flat soled boots.  Do I dress old...but I remember my mother wearing Moo Moos in her 30s and 40s...and I haven't even gotten there yet and I'm nearing 60

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I've never seen my  mother in a 1-piece swimsuit. And she had 8 kids! She kept her body well though. She lived in sneakers and flip-flops for the most part. Shorts/pants, dependant on weather. I never saw her in jeans though. And she looked smashing when she dressed up.

I'm 53. I'm a real outdoorsy, very relaxed person. For the most part, at home I wear tank tops (yes, even now...it's very warm in our house) and yoga pants. And barefoot as often as possible. Hoodies, hat, gloves when I go out. Winter is hikers or muck boots. Summer heat I wear shorts or gauze dresses. Unless I'm riding (my motorcycle), then of course it's jeans and leather. I keep my hair medium length because of riding. I can braid it and it stays. When I take off my helmet I don't have 'helmet head'...which you get with short hair.

Really it has to be what YOU are most comfy in.....and of course is it appropriate for the venue. But the hair thing? My Grammy had hair past her bum when she died. I loved brushing her hair when I was little. Every day she'd braid it in tiny braids and wrap it all up around her head. Both of my Grandmothers wore dresses every day.....neither of them owned shorts or pants, BUT they both wore bathingsuits.

ceashell429
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Hells to the NO! I am pierced tattooed and I have multicolored hair most of the time. I wear basically anything I want. The only thing that stops me with clothing is my wieght. I shop in the same stores me daughters shop. I will be the 70 year old in the mini skirt!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I think you should look the way that you are most comfortable with, that makes you the most confident.  My family banned me from "permanents" saying they made me look  10 years older.  I try to dress about 5 years younger than my number age.

caro100
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ceashell429:

Hells to the NO! I am pierced tattooed and I have multicolored hair most of the time. I wear basically anything I want. The only thing that stops me with clothing is my wieght. I shop in the same stores me daughters shop. I will be the 70 year old in the mini skirt!

I'm afraid of the whole tatoo thing. I am afraid my butterfly would look like a vulture and scare my grandchildren. If I ever have any that is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)