Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Somebody tell me how to cook Brussell Sprouts please!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 16 Replies

I've never made them and liked them. I don't know how! It's not something my mother cooked, but I want to know how you cook them that you like!

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I've never cooked them but I love them, too!   Have you googled it?  Without doing so myself, I'd think you just boil them in water with maybe some salt, then drain and drown them in butter.  lol. 

sonogal
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I only like them roasted, either in the oven or on the grill.... clean, halve, brush with EVOO, salt & pepper & roast at high heat (400 or so) until light brown , crispy outside and soft inside. Some people like them softer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

EEEEEWWWW Why would you want to LOL.  Last time I had them they were done like cauliflower with a cheese sauce.  I remember my mother used to steam them...maybe that's why I never cared for them.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I like them cut in half and roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper and a little parm cheese.  I like them just barely fork tender.  So good!!  I have even boiled them for a few minutes and then cut them in half and put them on the roasting pan. 

kath0362
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

My daughter-in-law makes them by slicing them in thirds,  sauteeing in olive oil and garlic.  Then she covers them with a little of your favorite cheese and bakes or broils them until the cheese melts.  That was the first time I ever liked them.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

We like ours with bacon and usually fry some bacon, remove bacon from skillet, thoss in brussel sprouts and saute.  When soft, add back in the bacon crumbled and sprinkle with a little cheese. 

Shellness
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Yep Colleen, that's my experience too. I'm gonna try roasting them in the EVOO. Mabye thats good?

Granny1952
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Quoting mac1940:

We like ours with bacon and usually fry some bacon, remove bacon from skillet, thoss in brussel sprouts and saute.  When soft, add back in the bacon crumbled and sprinkle with a little cheese. 

This sounds good. I like them just about any way they are fixed.

ParanormalSarah
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

My fiance and I cook these all the time - the way we like best is to take a busshel of sprouts, rinse and half them. 1 Tbsp Butter/ 1 Tbsp of Oil (or bacon grease) and then fry them on the skillet for about 5 minutes (med heat). If they are big sprouts I put a splash of water in the skillet and put a lid on for a few minutes.

Sprinkle with some salt/pepper and you're good to go!

maw-maw-2002
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I always cook in a little water with salt and pepper when tender add evoo and let them fry in pan a few seconds.... the roasting sounds good and also sounds good with the bacon I haven't had them like that
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN