Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Ingredient of the Day...3/1

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • 25 Replies

The special Ingredient fo today is PASTA!!!

What can you do with Pasta? Post ideas/recipes if you have one!

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana9106
by Darlene on Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Peppered Shrimp Alfredo

recipe image
Rated: rating
Submitted By: JZELLER
Photo By: dustysun
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes
Servings: 6
"A jar of Alfredo sauce gets an added kick with cayenne pepper, Romano cheese, and extra cream. Served with red bell peppers, shrimp, and penne pasta, this is one rich dish!"
Ingredients:

12 ounces penne pasta
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, diced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and
deveined
1 (15 ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to
taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter together with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and mushroom; cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes more.
3. Stir in the shrimp, and cook until firm and pink, then pour in Alfredo sauce, Romano cheese, and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir drained pasta into the sauce, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.

I use linguini instead of penne pasta

Granny1952
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

We had spaghetti for supper last night.

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Oh, pasta!  The food of the gods!

I'm a pasta addict. 

This is a very wordy recipe, but don't let that fool you.  It's quick and easy.

Creamy Wild Mushroom Pasta.

Serves four as a main dish.  These are very generous servings.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 ounces wild mushrooms; use as many different types of mushrooms as you like, such as shiitake, maitake, portobello, straw, enoki, oyster, chanterelles, cremini, morel, porcini, matsutake, etc.
1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried ground rosemary (dried herb)
1 teaspoon dried ground thyme (dried herb)
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
12 ounces (dry weight) whole-grain pasta; any whole-grain pasta, such as wheat, spelt, buckwheat, kamut, or rye, will work well for this recipe

Bring a large pot of water to boil while preparing the other ingredients.
Clean and coarsely chop the mushrooms.
Mince the garlic and grate the fresh parmesan cheese.
In a deep skillet or stove-top pan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat until the garlic just turns golden.
Add low-sodium vegetable broth and mushrooms; return mixture to a simmer (low boil).
Add rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and half of the parmesan cheese and stir.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to instructions (usually 8 to 10 minutes).
While pasta is cooking, stir mushroom mixture at a simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
Very carefully (it's very hot!) remove approximately 1 cup of mushrooms and broth and place in a blender.
Very carefully (it's very hot!) blend the mushrooms and broth. Use a lid on the blender; place the lid lightly and lift several times to vent the steam as you blend. This will prevent the lid from blowing off the blender due to steam buildup.
Return blended mushrooms and broth to pan; stir to combine with mushroom mixture. Reduce heat until pasta is ready.
Drain pasta and mix pasta and mushroom sauce together. Stir to combine ingredients and coat pasta.
Dish onto plates and sprinkle each serving with a bit of the remaining parmesan cheese.

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Sausage with Peppers and Pasta

3 cups rigatoni pasta, uncooked
1 lb. Italian sausage, sliced
1 each: red, green and yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1-1/2 cups KRAFT Shredded Italian* Mozzarella-Parmesan Cheese Blend
1/4 cup KRAFT Shredded Parmesan Cheese

COOK pasta as directed on package. Meanwhile, cook sausage in large skillet on medium heat 10 min. Stir in peppers; cook 7 min. or until sausage is cooked through and peppers are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes; cook 2 min. or until heated through.

DRAIN pasta. Add to sausage mixture with shredded cheese; mix well.

TOP with Parmesan.  

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I posted this one the other day when the ingredient was chicken, but since it's so good, I'll post it again for the pasta.

PANSIT

2 tbsp. oil
1 med. onion
1 garlic clove (opt.)
1 c. green beans cut French style or 1 can French style green beans
2 carrots, cut in thin strips
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 c. mushrooms, chopped
1 c. cold chopped chicken
1/4 c. soy sauce (or to taste)
1 pkg. vermicelli spaghetti, cooked & drained

In a skillet, cook in oil the onions and garlic until onions look clear. Add green beans, carrots, celery, mushrooms and chicken. Stir until vegetables are tender crisp. mix with spaghetti. Add soy sauce. 

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Beefy Pasta Skillet

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup (Regular or 25% Less Sodium)
1/4 cup water
1 T Worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked corkscrew pasta or elbow pasta

Cook beef and onion in skillet until browned. Pour off fat.
Add soup, water, Worchestershire, cheese and pasta and heat through.  

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Over the Rainbow Mac and Cheese

from Oprah's website

1 T vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
9 T butter
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Muenster cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded mild cheddar
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack
2 cups half & half
1 cup (8 oz.) Velveeta, cut into small pieces
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 t seasoned salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole.
2. Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
3. In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.
4. Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.  

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Cincinnati Chili

10 oz very lean ground beef
4 t vegetable oil (1 T. plus 1 t.)
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chili powder
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/8 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped canned tomatoes, with juice
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 t granulated sugar
6 oz. spaghetti
1 1/2 oz. medium-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T. minced scallions

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Crumble in the ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.

Stir in the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and reduce heat to medium. Saute until the vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, black pepper, cinnamon, and salt, and cook unti the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chili is thinckened and the flavors are blended, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, 9 to 11 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and transfer to a serving bowl. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti, top with the cheddar cheese and scallions, and serve.

Serving size: 1 1/2 cups 

gmadiane
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I love my pasta, spaghetti and meatballs, mac and cheese, stuffed shells, lasagna, manacotti, I love spaghetti noodles in my chicken soup, I could go on and on and on, lol, you would think I was Italian, love pasta!

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Aglio et Olio

(Pasta with oil and garlic)

I don't have this one written down anywhere, but here goes:

Cook some spaghetti noodles or whatever pasta you choose.  As it's cooking, in the microwave, cook some fresh garlic (pressed) with some olive oil and Italian herbs (I use an Italian seasoning mix that I bought at Sam's Club).  When pasta is done, drain it, and return it to the pan.  While on the heat, add some chicken broth to the pasta, and cook till most of it dissolves.  Take the pan off the heat and add the oil/garlic mixture and a splash of lemon juice.  Stir well.  After placing on individual plates, grate parmesan cheese over it.  Enjoy!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN