Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My adult children are forever calling me asking me how to do simple cooking techniques or for a recipe for something I make that they love.

So, I was thinking of making them a recipe book for Christmas with techniques like poaching eggs, cooking rice, things like that. Then add in a bunch of favorite recipes so they will have them forever and can pass them on.

What do you think? Any suggestions? Any certain things your children have called and asked you how to do or make that might be useful for me?

And most of all, do you think this is a good idea? Something they would like?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
momma-t42
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You had me at CHRISTMAS!!!!  hahaha.

I LOVE the idea of a cookbook.  How clever!!!

My husbands family has recipe wars, and when one passes on a recipe, they omit an ingredient to sabotage another's cooking.  I can't believe they would do that, but it's true, they do.

Therefore, I think your idea is a wonderful idea!!!  

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting louannwilkins:

I think it's a great idea.  I have one that was made for me many years ago and I've already thought about my granddaughter and how I hope she'll love cooking with me and then of course I'd want to make her a book too.  I love passing down things like that!!

Start cooking with her while she's still very young.  My granddaughters LOVE to help me cook - there's always something that they can help with, even though they're still too young for the stove.  Washing, stirring, shredding, measuring (that's a great one - it helps with math!), even cutting softer things with a butter knife - bananas.  My six year old g.d. has used the mixer - with very close supervision of course!  And Oliver, at not 4 yet, helps his mom a lot in the kitchen, and it's even helped him where his pickiness is concerned.  He eats much more now, and a bigger variety.  It really helps when they've helped make it.  There's a big sense of pride in a job well done!

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Quoting momma-t42:

You had me at CHRISTMAS!!!!  hahaha.

I LOVE the idea of a cookbook.  How clever!!!

My husbands family has recipe wars, and when one passes on a recipe, they omit an ingredient to sabotage another's cooking.  I can't believe they would do that, but it's true, they do.

Therefore, I think your idea is a wonderful idea!!!  

I've been accused of leaving out the "secret ingredient", but I don't leave anything out when I share.  That's one of the biggest compliments a cook can get, is for someone to ask for the recipe! 

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I'm sooo going to start some cookbooks for my grandkids!  Even though they're 8, 6 and 3 - it'll give me LOTS of time to add their new favorites as time goes on! 

Shellness
by Michell on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Yes I was thinking of this too! Like naming things like this "Dad's famous BBQ Chicken Rub" and adding a picture of him on the opposing page!

Quoting mac1940:

I did this a few years ago - made cookbooks for each of my three kids.  They had all cooked at home before heading out into the world, but I was handy to ask questions of and provide some guidance.  But a lot of what I taught them was what we jokingly call "long distance cooking advice".  One time when my oldest was stationed in Hawaii he called me asking for an exact recipe for french toast.  I had to admit I do not exactly know, it's eggs, milk, seasonings, etc but how much of what I had no clue.  (And by the way, he has turned out to be an excellent gourmet cook).  Anyway I put together a cookbook for each of them with chapters on how to, each one's favorite dishes, traditional for our family holiday celebrations.  My daughters in law tell me it is their favorite go=to cookbook.  Some of the recipes, I gave some history of how it came to be or a memory of how much fun we had when it was served.  A really fun project so start it now.

Shellness
by Michell on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

But those are the things they need to know and I wanted to add a whole how to section. You guys are giving me good tips.

Quoting Esmrlda:

This is a great idea, what a priceless gift.  Yes dd texts me all the time for how to directions.  But its simple stuff since she is a vegetarian like how to cook an artichoke or a baked potato stuff like that.

Shellness
by Michell on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

That's a good one thanks! I remember my first gravy, lol. Had about a cup of oil, cup of flour, you could cut it with a knife....not good.  laughing

Quoting gmadiane:

my daughter called yesterday to ask how to make sausage gravy, so I would add in some tips for making a good gravy

Quoting Shellness:

Have any cooking tips?

Quoting gmadiane:

I think this is a wonderful idea

allforedwards
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM
That is a cool idea. I wish my mom would of done something like that. I lost all her recipes as she kept everything in her head.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellness
by Michell on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Quoting allforedwards:

That is a cool idea. I wish my mom would of done something like that. I lost all her recipes as she kept everything in her head.

I know. I hate not having my Grandmothers.

Gypsykatzen
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I use to give a small photo ablum (3X5) with recipes in it as a wedding present.  Had lots of casseroles and ways to stretch your food if you are on a snug budget!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)