Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

exercise question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 21 Replies

A few years ago there was a big fad in Hollywood for "hoop" exercising. You used a weighted hula hoop. Marisa Tomei )not sure about the spelling) used a hula hoop to get in shape for the movie "the wrestler" she was in hot shape! She then made a hula hoop dvd and sold it on line. 

Has anyone ever tried this? A regular hula hoop won't work as it is not weighted. They sell them in different weights depending on how heavy you are and how much you need to loose.

I am thinking it is fun, and low impact. I wonder how bad it would bother my back??

They are not cheap! I looked on amazon. It would cost me around $50. sheez not sure I want to know that bad! lol

Thoughts??

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I've heard of it but don't know anyone who's tried it.

gmadiane
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have never heard of it

louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I don't know of anyone who has done that.  Heck, I've never even heard of it.  I walk and it's helped me lose the weight.  It's good because on the days my back or hip is hurting me I can take it easier or take some ibuprofen before I go.  I have been thinking about joining a small gym near me that's open 24 / 7.  It's 30.00 a month and the only reason I'm considering it is because I know me and the hotter and more humid it gets here....I'll just stop going and I've made such good progress that I don't want to quit.  Plus, it makes me feel better.

sonogal
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM
I have heard of it, but I'm so uncoordinated I've never been able to hoop. I do not think it would he good for your back....ask your doctor before you buy one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Esmrlda
by Esme on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Yikes, I have one of those in my laundry room.  It is pretty big.  A friend of my MiL makes them for the hula hoop class at a gym and sells them to the gym.  She gave me one and I regret that I have not even used it.  Its only been a month tho....now I'm going to do it.  shame on me.

caro100
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I don't know about the weighted hoop, but you know the regular hoops would probably do the same, its the motion, more than the weight, I would think.  I'd start out with the regular hoop anyway and see if it hurt your back, before I spent 50.00.   Just sayin. I reread your post and you say regular hoops don't work?  I just don't know that I believe that, as I said above it the motion, more than the weight.  I have heard of it though, its kinda like the jumprope, they say it really good for a person.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I can't imagine that a weighted hula hoop would do much good for your back.  Personally I have never mastered a hula hoop, so probably would not try it.  Do you have a Wii?  A slot of the exercises on Wii Fit work well and are excellent.

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Buy an old style one at WalMart, cut it open, fill it with sand, duct tape it back together. There's your weighted Hula Hoop.

rosebud727
by Rose on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I just saw those at the Big 5 store the other day. I was getting a core training ball for a few friends as gifts. 

I don't think I would want to do that for 10 minutes. Too much of the same repetition for my taste, but that's just me. 

Let us know if you get one.

nana9106
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I have never heard of it. I have never been able to hula hoop... I would seen very spastic and FAR from graceful LOL...yea I'm thinking that's not for me :-D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)