Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A number they can be reached at.

Do you think for safety purposes an adult child that lives with you, or heck even if they don't live with you,should give you a number they can be reached at when they are going away for the weekend? Or at least tell you where they are going?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I still let my parents and family members know when we are going to be away and my kids let me know. My Mom and Dad live 8 states away, but she still calls to let me know when they are going away as well. I think its important for someone to know where you are and for how long you will be gone. What if something happened to you? Cell phone batteries don't last forever if they can't be charged. I also have GPS tracking on all of our cell phones. So I can locate my kids and they can locate me if need be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

If they are no longer living with parents then there is no reason for them to let parents know where they are going, who they are going with unless they wanted to.  They are under no obligation to let theor parents know any of their plans once they move out.  

rosebud727
by Rose on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, of course otherwise I would worry forever. My family is everything to me, this is a given and not an alternative.

I do the same for them, that way they know where to reach me when I am away as well.

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Well they may not be "required" to but in MY FAMILY we consider it a nice gesture to let our other family members know that we haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Especially if we cannot be reached for an extended period of time. Like I said my parents still call me and I greatly appreciate that I don't have to worry about why they are not answering their phone, because they so kindly let me know they were going to be away. Its just a nice thing to do in my eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisamarie1265
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
We all let each other know where we are going to be ... Our families are everything! ... My folks always know what we are up to whether we are heading down to tennesee, Florida or the next state over at our fave camp ground, or if we are out on the boat for the day. Same with my brothers family we are always in touch...we watch each others houses when we travel as well... My folks show us the same curtousy when they are out of town. Why would you NOT be in touch with your family when you travel .. Or just go away for the weekend... In this day and age when people are constantly going missing, it just helps to know where your loved ones are... My son in law and daughter camp a lot with my niece and nephew in law and they always check in.. I expect nothing less, my younger daughter likes to text check in just because.... Also as another poster we too have GPS tracking on our phones.. It's peace of mind!! ... To another poster I strongly disagree once a child moves out the are very much obligated to let a parent know if they are leaving town, where and for how long, I have been out of my home 26 yrs and I tell my folks when we are going 3 cities over to spend the weekend at our daughters house... It's because we love my parents and don't want them EVER to worry, my husband has since lost his mom and dad and is very close to mine he has the upmost respect for them and would never dream of going somewhere distant without notifying them as to our whereabouts ... What can I say we are a close knit family!!!
caro100
by Carol on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I think it is courtesy that they do so, but with the advent of cell phones, usually you can get a hold of them or text them a message to call you.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Hereforthegames:

Maybe I watch tv too much. But I have their cell phone number and how will that help me if they are laying dead in the woods. At least if I knew where they were going or who they were going with I would have a starting point on where to look for them if they don't come home.

I agree, watching all those Datelines and 20/20s can scare me.  I talk to my dd's frequently on the phone so I pretty much know what their plans are.  My son doesn't call me very often but I talk to his wife a lot so she keeps me posted.  If you call your kids and ask them what their plans are for the week will they tell you?

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

People are creatures of habit. My kids don't live with me, but the contact way, times, etc, are always sort of predictable. I've made it a point for 31 years to ALWAYS know who their circle of friends are. And become friendly with them. If the 'creature of habit' doesn't act normal, I can contact one of the friends and ask where they are. I've done it before.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

It does not necessarly have to be a parent but I think anyone going anywhere for an extended period of time should let a family member or close friend know in case there is an emergency of some sort or if the person does not return when epected.

scherrie
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I so agree with that

Quoting CoeyG:

Yes, it is called common courtesy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)