Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A number they can be reached at.

Do you think for safety purposes an adult child that lives with you, or heck even if they don't live with you,should give you a number they can be reached at when they are going away for the weekend? Or at least tell you where they are going?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Replies (31-39):
gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM

yes, usually both my girls do, not always or they text me, sometimes their phones are off or they aren't answering, then I give them the what if's.

We also have the agreement, where ever u are, no matter what time of day or night, if you need me, to come get u, u call me, we will discuss things after everyone had a good nights sleep. Both girls only used that (so far) once both were 19.

planning a wedding

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Call someone else. I would hope you're not that dependant on your child. ?? (what am I missing?)

Quoting KittyGram:

Yes, I think they should.  What would you do in case of an emergency if they didn't?

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I'm talking about an emergency where you SHOULD get ahold of that child - death of a loved one, etc. - granted, if it's only a weekend away, it COULD wait, but if it were me away for a weekend, and my loved one passed away, or is in the hospital, etc., I would prefer to know sooner than later. 

Quoting EireLass:

Call someone else. I would hope you're not that dependant on your child. ?? (what am I missing?)

Quoting KittyGram:

Yes, I think they should.  What would you do in case of an emergency if they didn't?

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Okay, I didn't think about that. But is a loved ones death an emergency? And if you do reach them, what do you expect of them? Would you ever leave a voice mail on their cell?

Quoting KittyGram:

I'm talking about an emergency where you SHOULD get ahold of that child - death of a loved one, etc. - granted, if it's only a weekend away, it COULD wait, but if it were me away for a weekend, and my loved one passed away, or is in the hospital, etc., I would prefer to know sooner than later. 

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting KittyGram:

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I would ask them to return my call - I wouldn't leave that in a message.  A hospital stay, though, I might leave in the message.  

I just keep thinking, if it were ME out of town, I'd like to make my own decisions regarding coming back early, or whatever, and I think that courtesy should be given to others.  

And also, what if your adult child was out of town, and their house burnt down, in full or in part, or flooded, or something like that?  Again, I wouldn't personally want to come home to that without forewarning, and I'd call my adult child if that happened to her home while she's away. 

Quoting EireLass:

Okay, I didn't think about that. But is a loved ones death an emergency? And if you do reach them, what do you expect of them? Would you ever leave a voice mail on their cell?

Quoting KittyGram:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting KittyGram:

sweetplum
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

yes

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM

But thinking of my daughter for instance. She travels all the time with her work. When she's on travel, she can't leave. (I'm talking travel to other countries, etc). And she doesn't live near me, so I couldn't tell her anything that's going on with her house.

In our family, we have all cells and work numbers. We also have numbers of closest friends, so we can always find someone. If Cait has a big trip coming up, where there's much planning needed, I know about it. But sometimes it's very short notice, and I don't know about it until I'm talking or texting with her and she says "oh, I'm in Puerto Rico, etc". I guess in casual conversation we might mention where and when we're going somewhere, but as a rule, we don't say "I'm going away to blah blah blah on Tuesday".

Quoting KittyGram:

I would ask them to return my call - I wouldn't leave that in a message.  A hospital stay, though, I might leave in the message.  

I just keep thinking, if it were ME out of town, I'd like to make my own decisions regarding coming back early, or whatever, and I think that courtesy should be given to others.  

And also, what if your adult child was out of town, and their house burnt down, in full or in part, or flooded, or something like that?  Again, I wouldn't personally want to come home to that without forewarning, and I'd call my adult child if that happened to her home while she's away. 

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting KittyGram:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting KittyGram:

busygramma4
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM
When my kids are out of town cell phones or not we know where they are. Common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellness
by Michell on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Sounds reasonable to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)