Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

So I find out on FB.... **vent**

Posted by   + Show Post

The date of my sons wedding! I have really got my feelings hurt about this.

His fiance posted a pic of the two of them, and one of her friends commented about the details and she replies that the date is set for Sept. 13 in NC. Well, that was news to me... So i commented back that my feelings were hurt and that they could have informed me BEFORE it was posted publicly. She did apologize and then fill me in on the details thus far, and said that she thought that Robert had already told me.

I have a lot of planning of my own to do, so that I can be there. And it is still in the air if we are to bring Savannah(his 4 year old daughter) with us... Communication is nice. 

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
nana9106
by Darlene on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Well, it was out there and I am a 'tell you how I feel' kind of gal (especially with my kids...nothing to hide there). She may as well know that about me, she is going to be part of my family (one of my kids).....but not to worry, I added a   :-)    at the end so she would know I was not being bitchy :-)

Quoting CoeyG:

It is her's and your son's wedding and they had/have the right to determine who they tell first.  It really wasn't up to her to tell you, it was up to your son, you should have confronted him and not her on her FB page.  If you want communication you're going to have to disucss it with your son.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I would have done the same..I think all males should be required to take a communication 101 class before graduating high school LOL.

Quoting nana9106:

It was...so I gave HER my number so that we could talk and not depend on my sons communication skills...or lack of

Quoting LadySaphira:

It sounds like a simple case of mis comunication to me.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

nana9106
by Darlene on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

This is what I was thinking.

Quoting KittyGram:

Common sense would let them know that it is just common courtesy to let the parents know before making an official or unofficial announcement.  It doesn't matter WHO's decision it is whether to tell or not, it's just the polite thing to do.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting nana9106:

It was...so I gave HER my number so that we could talk and not depend on my sons communication skills...or lack of

Quoting LadySaphira:

I was going to suggest you do that.  I talk to my dil about most everything.

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LadySaphira:

I would have done the same..I think all males should be required to take a communication 101 class before graduating high school LOL.

Quoting nana9106:

Quoting LadySaphira:

It's funny you say that (bolded section) because I was just having a conversation this weekend with some friends about this.  One of my friends daughter's goes to Boston College and they are required as freshman to take a communication class.  The schools reasoning is that with the computer world kids these days DO NOT KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE FACE TO FACE, everything is done electronically.  One of the requirements of the class is that they have to ask a fellow classmate out on a date (again face to face, no texting) and they have to sit and have an actual conversation.  They are trying to get kids out of the "hook-up" mentality and back to a dating (getting to know you first) mentatlity.  

I thought it was very interesting and also very true of many kids these days.  

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

That is rude! Why didn't your son call you? Do they live far away from you? My son and his fiance are getting married Labor day, 2013. They told us last year after Kevin proposed. She already showed me the dress, etc that she wants. Communication is key. So sorry! wedding

nana9106
by Darlene on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Yes he lives far away. He is in NC and I am in TX

Quoting Mariagma3:

That is rude! Why didn't your son call you? Do they live far away from you? My son and his fiance are getting married Labor day, 2013. They told us last year after Kevin proposed. She already showed me the dress, etc that she wants. Communication is key. So sorry! wedding

gmadiane
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I have found out some things on fb that I would have like to have heard in person or over the phone but at least she appologized

CoeyG
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Quoting kam013:

Quoting LadySaphira:

Quoting nana9106:

Quoting LadySaphira:

It's funny you say that (bolded section) because I was just having a conversation this weekend with some friends about this.  One of my friends daughter's goes to Boston College and they are required as freshman to take a communication class.  The schools reasoning is that with the computer world kids these days DO NOT KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE FACE TO FACE, everything is done electronically.  One of the requirements of the class is that they have to ask a fellow classmate out on a date (again face to face, no texting) and they have to sit and have an actual conversation.  They are trying to get kids out of the "hook-up" mentality and back to a dating (getting to know you first) mentatlity.  

I thought it was very interesting and also very true of many kids these days.  

Actually I would say that the OP had a communication problem as well.  She was the one using the internet to take her future daughter in law to task over the comment about the up coming marriage.  If it were me I would have called my son and asked him if he and her were going to let me know about their setting a date.  I wouldn't have posted on her facebook..

rosebud727
by Rose on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Yes, I agree with this statement. If you want to be part of a family anyways, right?

Quoting KittyGram:

Common sense would let them know that it is just common courtesy to let the parents know before making an official or unofficial announcement.  It doesn't matter WHO's decision it is whether to tell or not, it's just the polite thing to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)