Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What the heeck are Matzos and what do I do with them?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

I got them from the food pantry and they look like giant saltine crackers without salt on them.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

all I know is that it is a traditional Jewish food, I have never eaten or cooked with them, sorry

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

That is what I thought so I guess I crumble them into some soup..when I get some that is LOL

Quoting CoeyG:

Matzos are like crackers...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1890268,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,matzos,FF.html

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

CoeyG
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I use them like crackers

enafaye
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM

They are good with peanut butter on them.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

What are matzo balls?

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

What are matzo balls?

Matzo ball soup ... YUM!  You can buy a box of the stuff (see 2nd pic).  I add chicken and sliced carrots and celery to mine.

When making the matzo balls, add about 2 teaspoons of water plus the oil, egg, etc. Makes a fluffier matzo ball. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I wasn't sure either so it seems like we've both learned something!  lol

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Matzoh is the traditional Jewish unleavened bread required to be eaten during the 8 days of Passover, along with other traditional foods, horseradish, bitter herbs, etc, all symbolic of the time the Hebrews fled Egypt during the reign of the Pharoh, Ramses.  Due to their haste, they had to make bread without yeast.  If you've ever seen the movie, The Ten Commandments, you know the storyYou can use matzoh as crackers.  I'm not Jewish but I enjoy them with butter, or plain with a large glass of milk.  You can crush them into soup, like crackers, or serve them at dinner instead of bread.  They are also good spread with peanut butter &/or jelly, or egg or tuna salad or cheese spreads.  Nice for dipping too instead of chips.

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Matzoh balls are also delicious!  They are sort of a dumpling; I think they are made with matzoh meal but you can make them from a mix also (as pictured above).  My brother (whose wife is Jewish) used to make them with seltzer instead of water; it made them fluffy & light.  He used them in his MIL's homemade chicken soup - delish!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)