Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

A girl in my daughters sorority house died

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

They aren't tellling the details yet - they will find out tonight at a mandatory meeting.  My daughter just called and told me about it.  She's thinking - told me - it was probably "day hazing."  Or - getting drunk in the middle of the day.  I'd never heard the term before, and I pride myself on being up on things, but missed that one.

I feel terrible for this girls family regardless of why it happened (my daughter said the house had a number of police cars there, but she wasn't there at the time - she lives in a dorm, and was in class when it happened).  Just an awful thing.

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosebud727
by Rose on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Wow, mama that is really very tragic. Was your daughter close to this young lady? My daughter isn't in a sorority, she lives in her dorm apartment with a few other gals.

This really is a very awful thing to happen.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So sad and so young...

Not_A_Native
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Quoting rosebud727:

Wow, mama that is really very tragic. Was your daughter close to this young lady? My daughter isn't in a sorority, she lives in her dorm apartment with a few other gals.

The school is not releasing the name yet (neither is the news).  All those who were there, are being kept there, so no leaks about name.  They have released that she was 20 years old

My daughter doesn't live in the sorority house either - she lives in the dorm.  It really is a terrible thing.

rosebud727
by Rose on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Quoting rosebud727:

The school is not releasing the name yet (neither is the news).  All those who were there, are being kept there, so no leaks about name.  They have released that she was 20 years old

My daughter doesn't live in the sorority house either - she lives in the dorm.  It really is a terrible thing.

So sad!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:27 PM

That is incredibly sad.  Let us know if you hear anything.  It's heartbreaking.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

How sad! My oldest son lost a friend a couple of years ago when they were both 21. They young man apparently thought chewing on  pain patch to get high and consuming copious amounts of beer was a good idea.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Senseless :(

Esmrlda
by Esme on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Breaks my heart, could be any of our daughters. Let us know how she died when you find out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

This is sad, sad that these young women think they have to allow themsleves to be abused just to join a group and all too often this abuse ends in tradgedy.  

Not_A_Native
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

They released the name on the news, and said it was an accidental death, but still no details.  Apparently, she died over the weekend, but no one found her until today.  My daughter is in the meeting now, so hopefully she'll call me when the meeting is over.

It was NOT hazing - they actually don't do that there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN