Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

A girl in my daughters sorority house died

Posted by   + Show Post

They aren't tellling the details yet - they will find out tonight at a mandatory meeting.  My daughter just called and told me about it.  She's thinking - told me - it was probably "day hazing."  Or - getting drunk in the middle of the day.  I'd never heard the term before, and I pride myself on being up on things, but missed that one.

I feel terrible for this girls family regardless of why it happened (my daughter said the house had a number of police cars there, but she wasn't there at the time - she lives in a dorm, and was in class when it happened).  Just an awful thing.

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
CoeyG
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

They released the name on the news, and said it was an accidental death, but still no details.  Apparently, she died over the weekend, but no one found her until today.  My daughter is in the meeting now, so hopefully she'll call me when the meeting is over.

It was NOT hazing - they actually don't do that there.

And how would you know?  Sounds "fishy" to me.  Things like this don't happen just out of the blue.  But I don't know either.  

Not_A_Native
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well, first, "hazing" is typically done to initiate new recruits - this was the end of the 2nd year in the chapter for this girl.  If it had to do with the typical "hazing' it would have been during the recruitment time, which was last October.

They are saying it was an accidental death, and that she was found in her bed.  I'm "guessing" drugs and/or alcohol - both of which are in plentiful supply at any college (not just in sororities and fraternities). 

On one of the college visits I went on with my kids (not this college), someone asked about a reputation as a party school.  The answer was ANY college is a party school if you're looking for a party.

CoeyG
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

This is one reason I am glad Shannon went to college close to home and lived with me.  

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM

So sad to hear this :(

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

It really is a tragedy......even with all the warnings out there some never take heed.

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It is always sad when someone so young and full of life dies.

gmadiane
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

very sad

nybor48
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I heard about this on the radio this morning on my way into work..this is so sad... 

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM

If this was the result of a hazing, I can't believe that this still goes on.  Tragic for her family, and for a young life to end.   So many young people die due to using too much alcohol.

homeskoolmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

How awful. How is your daughter handling it? Did she know her well? Prayers for the girls and the family as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN