Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Creative Juices flowing.....

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter Caity went to school for fashion design and textile something. haha. Anyway, while in school (in MA) she worked at a local military developement and engineering center. Actually, she signed a contract to work with them for X amount of years in exchange for them paying for school. She was making quite a name for herself with her designs, etc, and got picked up by a private company in VA, where she is now. (They paid off her contract) She manages a small team, and designs special-op gear for the Navy SEALS, etc. Although it sounds like an exciting job (and she does totally love it), she's been feeling like she needs to let her creative juices flow. She thought she might want to go back to school for teaching design. She thought she might take on a small part time job teaching others to design. Something she could do without bounds set by someone else. (and maybe get away from so much Testosterone) Well, she was approached by someone getting married and asked if she'd make her wedding dress for her. So I thought I'd share the pics. She has decided to make this a side business. Its all silk with a lace overlay, she said very hard to work with together. And she hand beaded the whole thing. She does not work off store bought patterns. She never did. She would look at a pic in a magazine, or get an idea in her head, and draw it. Then she would measure various parts of the body, and create from there. She had made all her high school prom dress', ring dance dress', using the same method.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Wow!  She does awesome work and is very talented.

nana9106
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Oh it's so beautiful! She is very talented

Esmrlda
by Esme on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Wow! That is gorgeous!  She is so talented!  Love the bead work, bet that was monotonous.  Gorgeous.  She's going to be famous.   Who else is in the bottom pic? 

DesignGirl450
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Good for her, and thanks for the close up photos of the bead work.  I have made a lot of wedding, bridesmaid, graduation gowns, and evening gowns.  I love doing one of a kind items, but wouldn't do it for a job, as it wouldn't be fun any more.  I still make clothes for myself and love to do hand bead work, appliques and embroidery.  I admire young people for doing this kind of work, as most young women don't know how to sew any more.  I wish your lovely daughter the best of luck. 

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think that's the Brides parents?

Quoting Esmrlda:

Wow! That is gorgeous!  She is so talented!  Love the bead work, bet that was monotonous.  Gorgeous.  She's going to be famous.   Who else is in the bottom pic? 

LEK19
by Group Admin on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Beautiful work!

Got pics of her other designs?

CoeyG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

The dress is BEAUTIFUl, simple lines not gaudy or flashy.  If I were a bride I'd go for that one!  

EireLass
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Quoting LEK19:

Beautiful work! Got pics of her other designs?

Her model was her cousin. The long dress is a Miss Massachusetts contestant. The bottom is her in high school wearing one of her prom dress'.

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Her designs are beautiful.  Will she be doing any for us old people who are on the puggier side?

LEK19
by Group Admin on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

The girl's got talent!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)