Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Same problem

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

Twenty years ago I met up with an other young mum and her lo At our church play group we become good friends and still are 

She moved down south to somerset a ten hour round trip but we still keep in touch and stay with each other she's due here today but her older dd does not want to come she's just turned twenty I don't know the whole story but it sounds like she's busy with college and her own life 

Just the same as my twenty years old how sad that our lo who are not so little have to find their own feet and move on with their life's but it's just what we wanted but so hard to let go 

This will be the first year that they have not seen eachother 

My friend is going very upset about it I just said let them be they keep in touch with eachother its her oldest and first to leave home my son has two older brothers who left home already but it is still hard to let go 

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM

My mom had a friend when I was young, who had a daughter about the same age as me.  Yes, we played together when our moms got together and had lots of fun, but we didn't stay in touch.  Mom keeps asking me if I've talked with Mary and honestly, I have not kept in touch with her at all the past 40 years  Mom can't understand this but it's not like Mary and I were friends on our own. 

madhouseof5
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

We can't pick our kids friends 

But our kids did date for a couple of years we joked about being a proper family but the distance between them made things hard 

I still remember the trip home with my son so upset about their beak up That was a couple of years ago but they stayed friends 

Quoting suzeebloch:

My mom had a friend when I was young, who had a daughter about the same age as me.  Yes, we played together when our moms got together and had lots of fun, but we didn't stay in touch.  Mom keeps asking me if I've talked with Mary and honestly, I have not kept in touch with her at all the past 40 years  Mom can't understand this but it's not like Mary and I were friends on our own. 

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I agree w/ Suzee.  Just because the moms are friends doesn't mean the chiildren will be, and it's entirely their own decisions.  Sometimes they just don't "click" like the moms did.   In my case, in my very young adult days, even before my daughter, I had a friend.  She'd had her first son by the time we met, and her second son is just 5 weeks older than my daughter.  He and my daughter were childhood friends, went to school together for at least one year (I think different grade schools, but the same middle school before we moved to another nearby town).  Anyway, he and my daughter are still friends, but the mom and I have drifted apart.  She and I were very close at one time, but I grew up and she didn't.  We no longer had things in common.  She now lives about 3 hours away, and the last time we talked was probably a few years ago.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I would hate having to be friends with the parents of all my kids' friends and I am sure my kids feel that way about the children of some of my friends. Sometimes certain personalities and interests just do not mesh well together and the two people are better of just being acquaintances.

madhouseof5
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM

This was not a bad post a about our kids becoming friends or staying friends They all are very close 

Without sounding big headed I have lots of friends where the kids As is the hubby's are all good friends 

We have been on holidays with them Had day trips, meals and partys where we all have got on just brilliantly 

The point of this post that's seem Sorry to of been lost is how we all work to get our kids to grow up yet it's so hard to let them go but it has to be done 

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Quoting madhouseof5:

The point of this post that's seem Sorry to of been lost is how we all work to get our kids to grow up yet it's so hard to let them go but it has to be done 

Oh???  It didn't sound like it to me.  Sorry I misunderstood, but there was a lot of the friendship issue in there - it over powered the rest of your thoughts.

CoeyG
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Some moms take their children growing up harder than others.  We are not all the same, we have different emotions, different feelings and while we love our kids we don't always react the same when they start to spread their wings.  You have to accept that your friend is taking this time a bit harder than you did and be supportive of her, listen to her when she needs "a shoulder to cry on".  In otherwords, be a good friend.l 

madhouseof5
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

be supportive of her, listen to her when she needs "a shoulder to cry on".  In otherwords, be a good friend.l 

O Believe me when my oldest left home it hit me like a wall and I had my oldest daughter to fill his place LOL

I am already feeling the empty nest thing here My older 3 sons have left home and my 4th son is all ways away for the weekends  so half the time from being a house full it seem that we are down to just the 2 girls
very odd
Very quirt
So need to fill the empty room LOL

My friend was there for me and I will be there for her we chat on line and help eachother

Why do our babies have to grow up? I think I may just get one of them foreally dolls you know the ones that look like a real baby LOL
well once I am bored with it I could l aways put it back into its box

unlike teenagers Their a bit big for that

homeskoolmama
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM

It doesn't mean that you and the mom can't see each other and remain friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN