Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

step daughter meet a guy online from India

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 27 Replies

bad idea? If she goes over there will she ever come back? she is engaged to this guy she has never met. I know nothing about India! except where to find it on a map, lol,  

so how worried should I be about this?

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

India is a super misogynist country. I'd be very worried.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be worried.  How old is your daughter, and what kinds of relationships has she had with men?  If she is really insecure and has low self esteem, then she may be looking at this guy (whom she has never met!) as a white knight. Why doesn't he come and visit her in the US, instead of her spending the money and time to go over there?  

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be concerned about any "on line relationship" and downright worried about one that was so far reaching as one that spanned the world.

princessputter
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Considering some of the men over there have more than one wife.... I would really look into this before she leaves home

illinoismommy83
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

He needs to come here. Make it safe for her without preventing her from seeing him.

wheresthewayout
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

she is 26 and has low self esteem, she see's every "new man" as "the one",  she gets with men who are abusive, she has no idea what a normal relationship is. She was raised by her mom who would lock her in her room for weekends at a time so the mom could party. When she was 13 her dad got custody, by then she had gone wild, looking for love in every man she could find.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

I would be worried.  How old is your daughter, and what kinds of relationships has she had with men?  If she is really insecure and has low self esteem, then she may be looking at this guy (whom she has never met!) as a white knight. Why doesn't he come and visit her in the US, instead of her spending the money and time to go over there?  

gmadiane
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I would really try to discourage this, I would be very worried

CoeyG
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

If she is an adult she is entitled to make her own choices.  I don't know about marriage in India.  If she goes over there I don't know if she will ever come back.  Some people love it overseas some come back.  It depends upon her and this man she is engaged to whether she comes back or not.  For myself I wouldn't go out of this country to a man I' ve never met in person, he would have to come here so I could get to know the real person and not an online fantasy.  

busygramma4
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I would be very concerned even though she's an adult and I would do eerything in my power to try & convince her to forget it.

rosebud727
by Rose on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is intent on going have someone that is from India go with her. I'm totally serious. India is a very crowded country, with very different customs. I love my friends from India and would love to go there myself. I however will not travel there alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN