Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Talk To Yourself?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 31 Replies

Talking to Yourself Isn't (Just) for Crazy People

Posted by Jacqueline Burt

crazy ladyWhen I was younger and had fewer than 8 million things on my mind at any given moment, I used to give my mom a hard time because she talked to herself. Like, all the time. (So did my grandmother, now that I think about it.) Footloose and un-frazzled as I was, it used to drive me nuts when I heard her voice coming from another room and thought she was talking to me:

"What, Mom?" Silence. "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" Silence. "MOOOOM!"

"Hmm? Oh, nothing, I was just talking to myself."

Aargh!

Of course, now that I'm a mom and karma tends to bite us all in the arse at some point, I find myself having similar solo conversations:

"Now, what did I come in this room for? Oh yeah, the laundry basket. Now where did that soap go ... ?"

Does this mean I'm as crazy as my mother?!

Not neccessarily! Check this out: According to a new study, talking to yourself can actually speed up your thought process.

For example, people looking for certain items found them faster when they talked about them out loud -- talking about the objects “activates visual properties in the brain."

Totally makes sense. Just like that episode of Sesame Street from the mid-70's with the cartoon about the little kid whose mom sends him to the store for "a loaf of bread, a quart of milk, and a stick of butter." And the whole time he's walking to the store he's singing to himself, "a loaf of bread, a quart of milk, and a stick of butter."

THEN when he gets to the store and the grocer asks him what he needs to buy, he thinks about his little song and pictures the items: "A loaf of bread ... a quart of milk ... and ... a stick of butter!"

Hey, that's all the evidence I need. SOLD.

Do you talk to yourself? Be honest!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I talk to myself all of the time.  I'm a mother.  Let's face it, I'm the only one who actually listens to me.

CoeyG
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I have always admitted to talking to myeslf as well as answering myself.  I've never been afraid to be thought of as crazy.  Don't care that people think I am.  

gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

This is great! Now I have proof!, YES I talk to myself ALL the time.

Or the dogs, sometimes they follow me and I include them as in, did u see where I put that? I know u did and if you could tell me u would, ur laughing at me now, b/c U know where it is and I don't! LOL

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I talk AND answer myself ALL the time. I am perfectly sane...lol

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Yep, I talk to myself and my dogs! Seems we're the only people (critters) that really listen to me anyway! LOL!!

gmadiane
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

yep

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

ALL the time! LOL

jonnlilithsmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

there are definitely times when I need some intelligent conversation...  ;D

Shellness
by Michell on May. 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Um yeah!! Don't we all???

homeskoolmama
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Oh yes. I am alone most of the time, so if I'm not talking to myself, I am talking to the dog or the kitties. I know they wish I'd hush but I like to hear noise. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)