Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How do you decide on names for your pets?

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine has names in mind and when she gets pets she gives them these names.  Such as names of favorite authors.  I like to get the pets and pick out a name that fits them.

Chewie. Because when we got her she happily chewed all of my computer cords.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Siberian Huskies are strong working dogs, right? How are they with a family?

Quoting kam013:

Our dogs are Siberian Huskies so we always go with something that seems appropriate with their breeding and bloodlines. Usually we use Inuit Indian names and carefully place the first, middle and last portions of their names so that they translate well. Our male is Tuukka Nashoba Takanni our female is Kaya Sakari Nashoba. Tuukka's translates loosely to Strong-headed of the tundra. Kaya's translates to sweet sister of the tundra.

Why123
by Nancy on May. 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I don't have any pets but my son has 3 cats.  The last 2 came with names and the first one didn't.  When they got her at the shelter she was rather pathetic looking.  First thought, poor baby.  So Baby is her name.  The second is Nicole but they call her Nono.  The third is Blackjack.  I usually refer to him as Fat Cat because he is huge.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

awww. Thank you for the pictures. I like the idea of new forever home new forever name. We renamed our kittens when we got them, even though the names they had been given fit very well. One of the kittens was relaxed and friendly, the other was extremely frightened, and it took a while before he warmed up.  I kept assuring him that this was his forever home and he could relax. He is pretty cozy now. I don't have recent pictures, but here are Buddy and Bobby:

Quoting CoeyG:

I called out a couple of names and whatever one my dogs responded to were their names.  Sophie responded to that name and Phoebe responded to her's.  Their previous owner had named them Daisey(Sophie) and Niki(Phoebe) but the rescue worker said it would be a good idea to give them new names, New forever home, new forever name.  Consequently their names fit.  We named Shannon's dog Sadie because it sounded "Sassy"  Sadie is definately Sassy in personallit LOL

Sophie

Phoebe

Sadie

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I like these names!  Big Kitty for sure!

Quoting EireLass:

My friend named Luna (Weim). I got Wilson (Weimeraner) at 3, and he already had the name. Dan named Grady Mactire (Border Collie). Grady is a Scottish name (his father is the reigning champ of Scotland for herding), and Mactire means wolf in gaelg. I named Big Kitty when he was 7 weeks old, I got him from the shelter, and he was HUGE. He now weighs 20 pounds. He's 11.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

My brother's cat is Smokey, Actually Smokey 2.   And my mother's cat was Cleo. :)

Quoting KittyGram:

Smokey is a gray tabby.  Self explanatory, and not very original.  When she was 9 months old, I made a spur of the moment decision to get another kitty.  Got her that night.  Was HOPING to get a tan boy baby kitty, and was going to name him Dusty.  So then I would have had a Smokey and a Dusty.  But the woman I got Chloe from had only one baby left.  A female.  We originally named her Cleo, after a tortoiseshell  I had as a kid, but my daughter kept calling her Chloe, and it stuck.  It suits her well.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

LOL!  This reminds me of when we had our cat Emmie neutered. We called the vet to see how she was doing, and the vet said oh E r n i e (!) is doing fine! LOL!

Quoting desert1:

Last cats we got, we thought were male & female, so started calling Mickey and Minnie. Minnie ears started looking like cauliflowers, so I started calling her Flower for short. Then we took to spay and neuter, well Flower is now Mr. Flower, lol...

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM

What sweeties!  Please give them an extra pat for me.

Quoting LeJane:

We have Miniature Schnauzers so they have German names.   We have kept the same core names for males and females through the years.    Our males have all been named Fritz and females named Jager ( pronounced Yager- German for hunter)  and called by Jagy.   Papered names were/are  Affectionate Fritz, Fritz II,  ReFritz,  Sir Fritz,   Precious Jager and Baroness Von Jager Gaga.   

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM

One of my favorite cats was Sammy, an orange cat. He used up all of his nine lives for sure.  What a neat derivation of the name for your Dublin.

Quoting suzeebloch:

My kids named our cats when we first brought them home.  Leo and Mia.  Not sure where they came up with those names - I will have to remember to ask them.

In 1997, shortly after my divorce, we adopted a kitten.  During that time, Johnny lived a week with his dad and then a week with me.  The week the kitten was ready for adoption was the week Johnny was with his dad, so Jessica and I called the little thing "No Name."  N N.   Double N.  Dublin.  And that's the name that stuck for that kitten.  It was an orangish cat (not sure what breed). 

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I've only ever had cats, and our cats don't seem to respond to names, more tone of voice or time of day (food time).

Quoting louannwilkins:

I don't have any pets now but I just chose names I like and they responded to it.  If they hadn't I might would have tried something else.

my4kidsrock2
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

We had a hamster years ago named chewey because we had him in a box on the way home and he chewed through the box then chewed a hole in our back seat, lol. All in a matter of 10 minutes. 

We name based on personality. We have Nuke, our rottie, and Beans, our cat. Peaches, our lab mix came with her name and it fit her well so we kept it. And my son named his puppy Tasha.

Our cat recently had 3 kittens and my 4yo feels bad that they don't have a daddy so she says she's the daddy. The kittens LOVE her and follow her every where. She named all of them. They are Runner, Wowey, and Nick. I asked her where she got those names and she said she didn't pick them, that's the names the kittens said they wanted, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)