Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How do you decide on names for your pets?

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine has names in mind and when she gets pets she gives them these names.  Such as names of favorite authors.  I like to get the pets and pick out a name that fits them.

Chewie. Because when we got her she happily chewed all of my computer cords.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Replies (31-40):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Our Manx does the roaring through the house thing. It reminds me of my sons who were cars,  I don't know what Bobbie thinks he is.

Quoting Tatiana7:

My Devin Rex cat has a fancy French name, as he was a former show cat & top rated stud. We call him Benny and Monster. Monster because at night, he'd rip & snort through the house, terrifying (!!!) everything in his path. Lol! He's super loving and vocal.

My Pappilon dog is named Vito. His nickname is Hammy the Hambone. He's a silly dog and loves to play.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

What kind of dog is Freyja?

Quoting jabs54:

I got a little black poodle when I was a kid.  My aunt happened to be staying with us and she came up with Jente (pronounced Yen-ta).  She and my mom are Norwegian and Jente means girl in Norwegian.   Our dog Rosie was named by our dd.   We have a dog now that is named Freyja.  We thought she will be our last dog and my first dog had a Norwegian name and I wanted my last to have a Norwegian name.

Tatiana7
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM
It's hilarious to watch! Then, when he's don't, he'll cuddle up with me and stay with me all night. The goofball.

And I love Manx's. Their hind legs make them look look like they have "lift kits" installed!! Lol!

Quoting Bmat:

Our Manx does the roaring through the house thing. It reminds me of my sons who were cars,  I don't know what Bobbie thinks he is.

Quoting Tatiana7:

My Devin Rex cat has a fancy French name, as he was a former show cat & top rated stud. We call him Benny and Monster. Monster because at night, he'd rip & snort through the house, terrifying (!!!) everything in his path. Lol! He's super loving and vocal.

My Pappilon dog is named Vito. His nickname is Hammy the Hambone. He's a silly dog and loves to play.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

LOL! about sparing us the names of the chickens. Actually I wouldn't mind hearing them just out of curiosity about what a chicken's name would be.  I have seen shaggy  dogs who look like bears when they are babies... Samoyeds I am thinking.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

My pets all have Southern names, but they also fit them. Dixie was first, our dog. It was the only name we could all agree on. So when we got Lily, she was a delicate little kitty and I kept saying "she's as delicate as a little flower blossom" so...Lily. Beau because he is a big ol'male, black as smut and slick but loving as all get out. My southern charmer :-)  Sugar came along and it was ...aw the baby, sweet as sugar/honey. But since he is black we decided on sugar because it is white and we are kooky like that. One of my black chickens is named cracker! Ruby has a red breast, cinnamon is cinnamon and black in color, Spot, is white with one black spot. We have 16 chickens, so I'll spare you.

But we do give names based on personality or looks.

Bear the new puppy is as cute as a little bear cub and sort of resembled one.

Tatiana7
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Done, not don't. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM

These are neat names!   We named our first cat Sunspot, because he was black, and he ended up being called Sunny.  The other cat was named Winnie, short for Winsome, because she was. :)

Quoting Shellness:

I do whatever fits the mood. My doberman was Dale, after Dale Earnhardt "The Intimidator" because well, he looked intimidating! Our Shiz Tzu was named Swiffer because he looked like a dust mop :) and my cat's name is Popeye because he thought he was a tough little fighter when he was a baby.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I wouldn't much like the name Fatso either. Ratso is cute.  I love the name Gig, too. 

Quoting lynked:

Ours are all named due to their personalities.  When we got our rat terrier, he came with the name Fatso which I hated.  I changed that to Ratso then he sort of named himself Rascal (because he is) and it stuck.  Our second one came with his name, Skeeter, but we call him Houdini a lot because he can get out of any fence we put him in.  Our third is a tiny Maltese mix who came with the name Scruffy but we call him Little Bit because he probably doesn't weigh 4 pounds.  Our cat's name is Gigabyte because when she was a kitten, her favorite place to sleep was on my computer keyboard. We usually just call her Gig.

jabs54
by Jeanine on May. 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting jabs54:

I got a little black poodle when I was a kid.  My aunt happened to be staying with us and she came up with Jente (pronounced Yen-ta).  She and my mom are Norwegian and Jente means girl in Norwegian.   Our dog Rosie was named by our dd.   We have a dog now that is named Freyja.  We thought she will be our last dog and my first dog had a Norwegian name and I wanted my last to have a Norwegian name.

Suppose to be a rat terrier.  She's a rescue and obviously a mixed breed ;)

mommyof2soon29
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM

My daughter chose our cat's name when she was 3, she chose Kippo, we call him Kip though. We have also decided now that she is a little older (5) she can choose baby #2's middle name as long as it is normal and decent

Bmat
by Barb on May. 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM

She is a good-looking dog! Thank you for the picture.

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting jabs54:

Suppose to be a rat terrier.  She's a rescue and obviously a mixed breed ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN