Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

OT: To Tip or Not To Tip~ Part 2

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 25 Replies

Cheap Tipper Who Left 2 Cents Makes a Great Point

Posted by Adriana Velez

my 2 centsThere are some awfully mean tippers out there -- like the jerk who left nothing but a note saying "you could stand to lose a few pounds."

And now here's the scolding "my 2 cents" tipper. This is a customer who left a handwritten lecture and two pennies as a tip. The note got posted to Reddit:

Waitressing 101. Don't tell every customer you're very busy, to excuse your lack of serving skills. Your job is to attend to us, not make us feel like we're an inconvenience. A little bit of personal attention goes a long way in the form of a tip. Just my 2 cents.

Now obviously this was an obnoxious thing to do. If a server tells you they're busy, it's probably because they're beyond the point of just busy and have reached the OMG We're Way Understaffed Desperation Zone. It happens -- management is cutting corners and not hiring enough waitstaff. Or you get slammed with more customers than usual. Or people call in sick at the last minute. And maybe this was just a way for a harried server to let her table know why they weren't getting the service she thought they deserved.

It's also important to remember that servers' wages are on the low side because restaurant owners know they're getting tips.

But the mean tipper has a point.

Maybe tips are for people who know how to finesse a bad situation, not just manage it. A restaurant should be very busy. And as just about any server will tell you, half of the job is learning the art of soothing impatient customers. It's about smiling, making people feel welcome, saying, "I'll be right with you, so sorry to make you wait" instead of "Phew, I'm so busy!" Even in the worst circumstances. That's how you get that little extra sugar from your customers: By pouring a whole lot on them.

Anyway, clearly the server on the other end of this "tip" was angry -- probably too angry to pick up on any lesson. No one likes a lecture. But just because the messenger is a jerk doesn't mean their message can't still be valuable. Taking in this customer's "2 cents" could make the server a lot more money in the future.

Do you still tip even when you think the service was bad?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I still tip, but not nearly as much as I would for good service.

kam013
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I do still tip for bad service, but I tip much less.  

For excellent service I always tip around 20% and work down from there.  I have never not left a tip, but I have made a point with some smaller tips.  

I also take into consideration things that may not be my servers fault.  If a restaurant is obviously extremely busy and it takes a little more than normal time to get my food, I don't hold my server responsible, unless of course I see them standing around and chit-chatting.  

Why123
by Nancy on May. 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Yes but not as much as they would have gotten if the service was good.  My oldest daughter waited tables for a very long time.  She was good at it.  The same skills that made her a good waitress also make her a good teacher.  It is not an easy job.  Lots of people are just not cut out to be wait staff.  They should look for other employment.

caro100
by Carol on May. 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Yes, but not as much if the service is bad.  Now if they are busy, I don't penalize them, but if I see them yakking or just sitting while my water glass is empty and I have to literally go hunt for them, then they get less of a tip.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I do. Those people work hard. I just don't tip as much. Typically I tip 20% for decent service. For bad service it depends on how pissed off I am. LOL

nana9106
by Darlene on May. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you ever see the Show 'Third Rock from the Sun'? there was one episode where Dick was learning about tipping. So he lays a stack of cash on the table, and when the waiter comes , he explains that the stack of cash is his tip and everytime his drink is empty or he needs someting, he is going to take money away from the stack. I wish I could find the video. That show was hilarious!

Now, that's a great way to tip!

romalove
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I once tipped two pennies.  We were in a steakhouse and the waitress dumped a garlic butter sauce all down my husband's back.  Instead of offering to clean it up or have the sweater cleaned or apologize, she laughed and said 'I can't believe I did that'.  We were furious.

My usual tip is 20 percent or more. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Thursday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

We do but maybe not as much as we would have had the service been better :)

Join us at

Time Out for You

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I do leave a tip either way but not as much which is what most of you seem to do too.  I know they work hard and it's not an easy job.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I only once kind of not left a tip. We were in a local chain resurant and while it was busy it was not any more busy than usual. we could see the pick up area ad cash register from where we were seated and got to watch our waitress  stand there holding our food for a good 15 minutes while she chatted and laughed with another server. When we finished eating we then again wached her laugh/chat for half an hour while waiting on our desserts and check, she then walked off and started taking orders from other patrons. We snagged a passing waitress who was not ours and asked her when we would be getting our ice cream and check, they were sitting right in the pick up window. She returned immediatly with our food and the check. I then promptly handed her $5 for taking the time to serve us and the origional server got nothing.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)