Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We Can't Forget About the Kentucky Derby

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM
  • 7 Replies

5 Mint Julep Drinks That Are a Sure Bet for the Kentucky Derby

Posted by Kiri Blakeley

If you're anything like me, there is one thing you look forward to the most on Kentucky Derby day, and it's not whether you hit a 1-20 bet. Well, yes, you look forward to that too. But there is a surer thing at your Derby party. That is, of course, the delectable mint julep.

The mint julep first hit Churchill Downs in 1936, but it's been around since at least the 1700s. The drink was first described in print as:

a dram of spirituous liquor that has mint in it, taken by Virginians in the morning.

Seriously, this was breakfast for Virginian farmers. Nice way to start the day! It's not quite clear if the first juleps were made with bourbon, rye whiskey, rum, or whatever was on hand, but it's now usually made with bourbon. Fresh mint, of course, has always been a staple (except for cranky purists who don't believe in sullying bourbon with mint leaves.)

Here are 5 mint julep recipes for your Derby delight. Bottoms up.

The classic, super minty mint julep - The Food Network's video will show you exactly how to get this julep into "mint" condition. Made with bourbon.

The whiskey mint julep - If you want to make your julep with whiskey, here's a good recipe.

The authentic mint julep - This recipe on Epicurious was adapted by Cindy Kebbell, head bartender of the historic Old Seelbach Bar, in Louisville, Kentucky.

The touch-of-spice mint julep - A blogger claims this is the best julep ever, due to its "dusting of nutmeg." "I'm Southern, so I should know," he writes.

The fruity mint julep - Want to be a little different? Wow 'em with cherries in your mint julep.

They all sound good enough to drink to me. I just wish I still had some of my grandmother's fresh mint, which she grew in a bed on the side of my childhood home. Mmm!

What's your favorite mint julep recipe?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nana9106
by Darlene on May. 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I've never had one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosebud727
by Rose on May. 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I haven't had one of those in years.

Don't forget your derby hat!

gmadiane
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I have never tried a mint julep

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:46 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on May. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Yum!
I wish :)

Join us at

Time Out for You

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I've never had one

Shellness
by Michell on May. 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

After that pint of Jack when we had those 3 hurricanes in a row a few years back, I don't think I could handle a mint Julep the traditional way. I can't even stand the smell of bourbon now.

LeniceHubbard
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM

So I guess it's Derby - de Mayo?

Oh my....which hat do we wear our Mexican Sombrero or our Derby Hat? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)