Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sticky situation UPDATED

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 20 Replies

One of my daughters goes to college in San Francisco and the other lives about an hour away.

My mom also isn't too far away either and likes to visit with my daughters occasionally.  My mom and I have a very turbulent relationship and my girls don't really enjoy spending a lot of time with her but do so because they know she does really does love them even though she's a very difficult person.

My mom is also the world's worst driver. I have told my daughters to avoid at all costs, whenever possible having my mom drive and either meet her at the destination or if my oldest is there, she can drive her car.

Today I receive a text from my youngest that she is going to lunch with Grandma and there was no way out of Grandma driving and she didn't think offering to drive would go over well.

I asked her to text me when she got to the Cliff House and when she got back to the dorm apt. I really feel for my baby right now.

*****UPDATED*****

She just got back to her dorm. She said lunch was nice but Grandma always appears confused when she's talking to her. She just doesn't get my younger daughter...sigh...oh and they were only honked at two times while driving. For my mom that is not bad!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I'm sure they will be fine.  Barring them drifting backwards downhill into the bay...Does grandma drive a stick?  LOL

Shellness
by Michell on May. 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I don't know what to say other than to have your daughter be honest and insist on driving. Honesty is always the best anyway.

rosebud727
by Rose on May. 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Thankfully no stick shift. She has been known to stop in the middle of the road to point out something she finds of particular interest thus frightening and freaking everyone in the car out and enraging anyone driving behind her. She is a true road menace.

Quoting CoeyG:

I'm sure they will be fine.  Barring them drifting backwards downhill into the bay...Does grandma drive a stick?  LOL

rosebud727
by Rose on May. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I know...I asked her to tell Grandma to let her drive but Carolynn is really intimidated by my mother. 

Quoting Shellness:

I don't know what to say other than to have your daughter be honest and insist on driving. Honesty is always the best anyway.

CoeyG
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Quoting rosebud727:

Thankfully no stick shift. She has been known to stop in the middle of the road to point out something she finds of particular interest thus frightening and freaking everyone in the car out and enraging anyone driving behind her. She is a true road menace.

Quoting CoeyG:

I know people like that...I just laugh it off.  I know well about SF hills LOL.  and stopping on one of them could be dangerous if your car starts drifting backward.  I never liked driving there so I'd park my car and took public transit wherever I went.  But I think I'd take grandma up on her off to drive if it were lunch at the Cliffhouse...YUM

busygramma4
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Guess I would have done what you did w/ your dd about texting you since dd didn't want to say anything.

rosebud727
by Rose on May. 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting CoeyG:

I know people like that...I just laugh it off.  I know well about SF hills LOL.  and stopping on one of them could be dangerous if your car starts drifting backward.  I never liked driving there so I'd park my car and took public transit wherever I went.  But I think I'd take grandma up on her off to drive if it were lunch at the Cliffhouse...YUM

Usually when I go and visit with my daughter I park the car at the college and we head out on transit as well. No worrying about parking, crazy heartstopping hills and people on bikes who just happen out of nowhere!

I think the enticement of the Cliff House was the only reason she reluctanly got in the car.

rosebud727
by Rose on May. 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Still waiting for that final text. Grandma must be treating her to sightseeing. Oh boy...

Quoting busygramma4:

Guess I would have done what you did w/ your dd about texting you since dd didn't want to say anything.

busygramma4
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Oh no!!

Quoting rosebud727:

Still waiting for that final text. Grandma must be treating her to sightseeing. Oh boy...

Quoting busygramma4:

rosebud727
by Rose on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

It's all good now. She's back home safe and they were only honked at twice.surprise miniGheesh!

Quoting busygramma4:

Oh no!!

Quoting rosebud727:

Quoting busygramma4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)