Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pursuing Your Dreams At Any Age

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

55-Year-Old Grandma Tries Out for Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders & Rocks It (VIDEO)

Posted by Mary Fischer

sharon simmonsYou're never too old to go after your dreams in life, which is something that Sharon Simmons is definitely out to prove. As a 55-year-old grandmother, Sharon decided it was high time to fulfill a goal she'd had for herself since she was 22-years-old -- to try out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. And last Saturday, she took the plunge and auditioned with hundreds of other (much younger) women.

And after hearing the story of Sharon's incredible journey that led her to finally trying out, I found myself tearing up a bit because part of it sounded so familiar. Like countless other moms out there, she gave up her dream of being a professional cheerleader because she didn't have a lot of money, and her family was her top priority. She opted to raise her children and devote her life to them instead of going after her biggest dream.

But even though she didn't quite make it to the football field up until this point in her life, the 33 years she spent while her plans were on the back burner were still very successful. Her credits include being an actress, author, and also the winner of nine fitness competitions (which explain why she still has such a buff bod at 55.)

There's no word yet on whether or not Sharon made the squad, but the Dallas Cowboys should seriously think about giving her a shot. She did a great job with her audition, and besides, people will come to games simply to watch her on the sidelines and see her in action! She's just such an inspiration and great reminder that as long as you believe in yourself and have the will to succeed, you're never too old to go after what you want in life.

Here is a video clip of Shannon's audition. Don't you think she deserves a spot on the squad?

VIDEO HERE

Do you have dreams you've been afraid to chase because of your age?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

awesome

Why123
by Nancy on May. 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I will be 65 this year.  Physically there are a lot of things that I just can't do anymore.  I would like to continue my education but college is just too expensive.  While our college did have someone graduate at 83, mentally, college level classes can be challenging.  I am glad she finally got her chance to follow her dream.

homeskoolmama
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

That is great,even if she doesn't make it, she had the courage to try.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I was jsut thinking tht myself...I would never have te nerve to try anything like that..even when I was much younger.

Quoting homeskoolmama:

That is great,even if she doesn't make it, she had the courage to try.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Nope.  

kam013
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

None because of age, several because of money . . . . like traveling the world via a Yacht.

LoriDeen
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I don't think she deserves a spot on the squad just because she's trying out in her 60's. If she is good enough to make the squad based on her talent vs. the talent of the others, that's great, but don't penalize another hopeful who also has a dream but is the "normal" age.

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I guess it's good that she had the nerve to do what she'd always wanted.  I probably wouldn't have ever tried.  lol

CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I don't think they'd hire a cheerleader that was hooked to an oxygen tank  LOL.   I don't think she should get the spot based upon her age either.  So what if she is 60...If this has been such a dream of her's why didn't she go after it when she was younger?  Yes it says she "opted" to raise her family...well that was the choice she made rather than go after her dream.  I don't think she has the right to take away someone else's dream simply because of her age.

nana9106
by Darlene on May. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Good for her for finally going after her dream. I hope she makes it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)