Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My son is being called for a deposition

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son was in a car accident a year and a half ago and just got a call that he needs to go in for a deposition. I am trying to come with examples for him on how the lawyers will ask the same questions just in a different ways to see if he gives the same answer.  

Can you help me please.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Why would you want to coach him?  They are looking for him to tell the truth, not rearrange it.  

gmadiane
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I have no idea but I am sure he will do just fine

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

What is it Judge Judy says, if you tell the truth you don't have to think about.  My advice is not to plan answers, simply be honest.

CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quoting mac1940:

What is it Judge Judy says, if you tell the truth you don't have to think about.  My advice is not to plan answers, simply be honest.

exactly.  This is why they ask the same question differently, to see how the person answers.  If they answer in the same manner it becomes evident they've been coached and are possbilty not telling the truth.

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Good luck to him!  I would be nervous probably.  I'm sure he will do fine as long as he tells what happened. 

momofne
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I just had a deposition a few weeks ago. Just tell him to listen to the questions carefully, and take a sec. before answering them. Only answer what has been asked, keep the answers to the point (yes or no if possible). It is frustrating when they ask the same question several different ways. But just tell him to tell the truth and not get riled, annoyed or anything. Sometimes that is what they are looking for (well at least in my case).

EireLass
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM

He just needs to answer the question asked. Don't offer extra information. Just yes, no, I don't recall....he'll be recorded as well as the lady typing. And he can ask for a break at any time.

CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Like everyone else has said, just listen to each question and keep all answers to the questions asked and don't give anymore.  For instance "what day is it" the answer would be Tuesday.  As opposed to What is today's date.  And while one usually is nervous in a courtroom there really is nothing to be nervous about (unless he was the guilty party LOL) 

EireLass
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It won't be in a court room either. It will be in a small office. The only people present are usually 2 attorneys and the lady that types.

LeJane
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I just want to add that it is OK if he doesn't remember or doesn't know the answer.    He can simple say I don't know, I can't remember or I would have to look it up. ( If it involves medical records)      He has nothing to worry about,  all he has to do is tell the truth.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)