Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I have had this dream for a few years. If I had money I would buy and abandoned high school. It would have to be a high school because they have more rooms. I would get and many cots in each room as I could with pillows blankets and sheets. I would do that in each classroom. There are already bathrooms where they could wash up and brush their teeth. Locker rooms have showers. Not many but I guess they could stand in line. The cafeteria would be the dining room and the kitchen. We would make three meals a day and have snacks out for the rest of the day, like fruit cookies candy and so on. We would also have coffee and coke machines. The offices would be where we had papers to keep track of who is there and when people leave so we would know there were extra beds now. There are lockers to put important things in. I would buy football, basketball, baseball, volleyball and any other equipment so they could have something to play and get excerise. They could even make teams and their family could sit on the bleachers to cheer them on. In the library we would get people to volunteer books and get computers for homework and fun. In some rooms we would get t.v.'s so they could have something to get their mind off of their problems. The gym would be for different things. They could have dance night's get togethers. They could even have picnics on the lawn. I would buy washers and dryers so they could save their money. If I had enough money I would let them live for free so they could save money to get back on their feet. If they wanted to they could pay it forward by helping in the kichen making meals washing dishes helping keep bathrooms clean mowing lawn. They would never have to leave except working or lookinf for jobs saving every penny they made. They could live there for up to a year. By then they should be doing ok. They would also have an address so they could work and go to school. If it were a high school I could probaby fit at least a thousand people in there. This is my dream to help the poor and homeless people

by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Replies (21-27):
DixieL
by Dixie on May. 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Quoting lynked:

Dreams such as this can come true.  When my granddaughter was 6, her dad was homeless.  She worried about him so much that my daughter decided to do what she could for the homeless.  That year, she collected a few blankets and the weekend before Christmas she and my granddaughter went to downtown Austin, Texas, and got the blankets out of the trunk.  Out of nowhere, came a crowd of homeless men which scared them so much, they threw down the blankets and ran.  LOL. 

Now, 20 years later, they still collect blankets, jackets, shoes, socks, hats, backpacks, toiletries, sweats, snacks and anything else they can and deliver 3 to 4 van-loads the weekend before Christmas to the homeless.   The homeless all know them and where and when they will be distributing.  It's a very orderly occasion and the recipients are extremely grateful.  She now has the help of her sisters, her dad, step-mom and a number of friends as well as my granddaughter who hasn't missed a year. Unfortunately, the man who started all this was found murdered in an alley last November so now it's done in his honor. I'm sure my daughter will do this until the day she dies.

Keep working on your dream.  You never know where it will lead you.  Good luck to you.

fingers crossedTell your granddaughtet tjat what she is doing is great . I am so happy that she kept it up. I just keep praying and hoping that I can find a way to help the way I want to. There has got to be a way. Thank You for your great letter and you inspiration. Happy Mothers Day

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Quoting kam013:

What a beautiful thought and actually a fantastic idea.  If I had the money I would help you set it up in a heartbeat!!

Thank you so much for you kind words and I can tell you would help me. I pray for the way to help all the time, but so far I haven't been able to find anyway. You have a Very Happy Mothers Day

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting louannwilkins:

It is a nice thought.  I don't think you're crazy.  I've always said I wish that I had enough money to help families who are the working poor.  You know people who get out and go to work ( if they're able) and then STILL have a hard time.  It would be SO nice to be so filthy rich to say hey....heres a credit for you at the power co. and your bill will be paid for the next 3 months or something like that.  That would make me incredibly happy.  Or a new car for someone or meds bought and paid for for a year etc....Just to help everyday people.

I would love to do that too. Anything to help them Thank you very much for your kind words. Have a very Happy Mothers Day

Isiswolfe
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting CoeyG:

Nice thought but there are reasons schools are "abandonded"  usually because of unsafe conditions.  Or would you be spending the thousands of dollars to repair plumgin an electrical issues as well?

There are some schools that close down just because their are not enough kids

My area has at least 5 schools within a 10 mile area that closed and some type of centers opened.

one of the mom pack
Isiswolfe
by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Thats so ironic...I've talked about it for yrs.,but its the control of violence and hiring ppl to to patrol and control.If ppl could live together in peace and harmonoy it would work and theworld would be a better place.Have you read anything about the prisons that shut down being refurbished for the low income ppl to live in??? I came across it looking up a metor and got into a NASA site.It's called FEM and if a disaster occurs ,we will be in cocentration camps.Check it put.

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quoting Isiswolfe:

Quoting DixieL:

Quoting CoeyG:

Nice thought but there are reasons schools are "abandonded"  usually because of unsafe conditions.  Or would you be spending the thousands of dollars to repair plumgin an electrical issues as well?

There are some schools that close down just because their are not enough kids

My area has at least 5 schools within a 10 mile area that closed and some type of centers opened.

Thank you I need to find money first Someday I am going to make my dream come true. The homeless people deserve it  Happy Mother's Day to you

Shellness
by Michell on May. 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Sounds like you have good insight on how it feels to be in that position and it sounds like you have a wonderful heart. Don't ever change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)