Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Could You or Have You Had A Relationship With Someone of a Different Political Party.

Embattled Wife Hits Her Hubby With a Car So She Can Rock the Vote

Posted by Janelle Harris

Jeffrey Radle is married, but he’s crazy about someone else besides his wife, Amanda. It’s not even another woman—it’s another man (cue the theatrical soap opera music). Apparently, Jeff is a huge supporter of Wisconsin governor Scott Walker. So much so that as Mrs. Radle was saddling up to vote for another candidate in the state’s Republican primary, he stood in front of her car as she tried to pull out of the driveway.

But the missus had moxie to match her hub’s passion, and she was undeterred. She simply tugged the steering wheel in the other direction and tried to drive around him. Radle, however, was so serious about his cause that the man swan dove in front of her car and, in the process, injured his fool head, neck, and back. Then she, in all of her crazy lady-ness, nudged him with the bumper several times. What a scene.

We’ve all heard stories about spouses jumping in front of cars to keep them from driving off to a not-so-secret rendezvous, maybe even from leaving the marriage altogether, but for political allegiance? On the flip side, plowing your life partner down en route to declare your support for a Democratic candidate hardly seems like good enough reason.

Clearly, the couple had preexisting issues. There’s no doubt about it. I mean, it could’ve been a dish towel or a soggy newspaper, whatever. Anything was liable to set off that relationship powder keg.

No charges have been filed yet—key word: yet—but police say if a complaint is lobbied by Mr. Radle, the lady of the house might find herself in the slammer. Still, he can take comfort in knowing that his personal sacrifice was not for nothing. His guy Gov. Walker breezed through the primary and his wife’s Democrat candidate had to chalk it up, at least until another election. I guess we’ll have to keep a closer eye on Wisconsin politics this year. Real Housewives whatever. The folks in the W.I. are bringing that drama and then some.

Could you be with someone who wasn’t part of your same political party?

by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
KittyGram
by Becky on May. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

My parents were supporters of two different political parties, and they never did crap like this.  Same with my ex-IL's.  

I have no clue what party my ex husband supports.  Of course, we've been divorced for many many years now, but back then, I was young and ignorant, and I didn't "bother" myself with political details.     

kam013
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

DH & I share the same political views (mostly), as do the majority of our close friends.  My immediate family also share the same views, but my Father's Brother and one of his sons do not (although son is slowing moving in a different direction).  Originally both his sons shared his views, one has already switched sides completely. 

We have had family functions that I have walked out on because they are so vocal in their views and want to scream at everyone who disagrees with them.  At my Grandfather's birthday once it was so uncomfortable at their house I told them I would never return.  One Christmas I actually put a sign on my door (they were all coming over) telling everyone to leave their political views at the door or they would be asked to leave.  I don't mind a heated conversation, but not a screaming match even when you try to walk away. 

Almost DH's entire family have different political views than us.  There have been some vocal conversations, but for the most part they all know enough to live and let live.  

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on May. 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

No, it wouldn't work for me.  It is not that I don't respect that others have a right to their own way of thinking, but there would be too much tension to be with someone who had such different views. 

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM

It would not be a problem for me. I have friends and family whose political views are different than mine and it causes no problem.  Neither one of my sons agree with my opinions or views on politics and that's okay - we love each other and respect but no not agree with with the other's views.  One thing (or I should say two things) I refuse to argue about is politics and religion - believing instead that we are all entitled to believe how we want to believe. 

over55
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:26 AM

My husband and I think the same politically. But, our religious backgrounds are very different and has caused a great deal of tension at times. It's probably a good thing this is our second marriage, because I am sure we could never have raised a family together.

LLICE
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM
I have quite a few friends who are of the opposite party. Most haven't a clue how I vote or what candidate I prefer. There has been more than one time my dh & I have left a social engagement & laughingly wondered whether friends have a clue that the party they just denigrated for an hour was the one we volunteer for. :)
LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Wow, what a couople of wack jobs! I am not into politics, and I don't think there is anyone out there worth voting for right now so I wouldn't care who my husband supported.

rosebud727
by Rose on May. 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM

My husband and I do not share the same political beliefs and we are fine with that. We do mostly come toward the middle within our political beliefs though.

Shellness
by Michell on May. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Political party, yes. Beliefs, no.

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I'm not sure but then I am a liberal and we go with the flow! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)