Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Sleep cycles..what are yours like?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM
  • 16 Replies

Has your sleep cycle changed over the years as you have gotten older? 

I used to be an early bird. I would be in bed by 10 pm most noights and be up at 6 am. Sometimes in the early after noon I would take a half hour "power nap" to energise myself a little.

Ever since I started working nights (a little over 2 years ago), my sleep patterns are completely wacked. I don't get to bed untill 2 or 3 am, sleep untill 6 am, get Roo up for school and lay back down around 7:30 am after he leaves. It then takes me a good half hour to relax enough to get back to sleep even though I am still really tired.  I get up again between 10 and 11 and once again lay down for a hour  nap around 3.  

I have found that I can no longer sleep more than 4 hours at a time, even when I do not have to be up to send Roo off to school. Even while I am sick, unless I take benedryl for my allergies, I am up within 4 hours of going to sleep an cannot get back to sleep for at least an hour afterwards.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosebud727
by Rose on May. 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Over the last 15 years I have become an insomniac. It started when my husband worked a night shift type job. Now it's just because I'm older and menopausal. I rise very early in the morning usually around 4:45 AM so when I do have my an insomniac night its pretty hard to stay focused the next day.

Melatonin does nothing for me. Tea and reading becomes my friend in the wee hours of the morning. Getting on the computer is the worst thing to do, and many reports will attest to that.

Ferne
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Same here.  I was in bed before 10 pm everynight until I started working overnights.  Now I sleep 10 am to 2 pm.   and then 5pm. to 9 pm.   Then off to work.   Even on my days off I cant sleep more than 4 hrs. at a time.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM

More like an insomniac :(

CoeyG
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Over the past couple of months my sleep cycle has really changed.  I used to sleep 6-7 hours every night.  Now however I will fall off at @ 8 or 9, sleep for about four hours then I'm awake for two or three.  I get back to sleep between 3 and 4 and am out until about 9.  That's when I'm feeling well.  This past week I've been flaring so I was sleeping pretty much on and off around the clock, every couple of hours I'd doze for about an hour or so.  It really doesn't bother me, I am no longer working (even though eventually I'm going to sign up for SS's Ticket to work, they have work from home jobs)so I can pretty much sleep whenever I need to.  I have also found that I sleep better with "sleep shades" even if it is dark they make it even darker and I get more REM sleep.  Now if only the damned dogs would quit waking me up to go outside!  

busygramma4
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I take medication at night that makes me sleep like a baby. But i go to sleep at 11-11:30 and am up 6:30-7:30. I don't usually nap either.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I read at night until I can't keep my eyes open- usually until about 1 AM. Then sleep until 8 or 8:30 if I don't have to be someplace. About 4 if I sit down I doze off for another couple hours.

gmadiane
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I use to work nights 7 p to 7 a and I was always exhausted, my sleep is ok now I am asleep around 11 and awake about 6 or 7

nana9106
by Darlene on May. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
For the last 10+ years I have gone to bed at 9:30-10 and wake up at 4:30. Because of my work schedule. (Napping is not an option) But I have always gone to bed early and woke up early. When I was growing up my dad was very strict and did not allow us to sleep in....ever. We were up by 6 regardless . So as a result I am up by 4-6 everyday and tired and ready to bed by 10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Quoting nana9106:

For the last 10+ years I have gone to bed at 9:30-10 and wake up at 4:30. Because of my work schedule. (Napping is not an option) But I have always gone to bed early and woke up early. When I was growing up my dad was very strict and did not allow us to sleep in....ever. We were up by 6 regardless . So as a result I am up by 4-6 everyday and tired and ready to bed by 10.

Same here.  In 1996 I started my own medical transcription service. In 1997 I started a job with a mortgage company and became a single mom, too.  At that time, I hired women to do the transcribing part during the day.  I'd be up between 3:30 and 4 every morning to proofread their finished work, format it and print it out for my doctors before taking the kids to school, dropping off work at the doctor's offices and on to the mortgage company.  Between 1999 and 2002, however, I sold off my transcription accounts as I was getting enough $$ from the mortgage company and so I got to "sleep in" during those years.  In 2003,the mortgage company went out of business so I got back a few of my transcription accounts and worked for another mortgage company or two, until I landed a full-time job with a medical transcription service in Florida in 2006.  So in 2003, I had to start getting up at 4:30 in the morning to get my transcribing done before going to work.  And in October 2011, I started a job with an immigration law firm but I still have four of my own medical transcription clients so I still get up to start work at 4:30 in the morning, leave for the office at 8 and get home usually by 6;30 p.m.  My goal is to have "lights out" no later than 9:30 and I take benadryl to help me get there.  I usually take the benadryl at 8 pm., crawl in bed and read until I'm sleepy enough.  Optimally I need 7 hours of sleep.  On weekends I don't set my alarm and if I get more than 8 hours of sleep, I feel draggy the rest of the day.  This morning I was up at 6 - so that's "sleeping in" for me!!!

CoeyG
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I have to nap at some point during the day, if I don't it could be trouble.  When my body is tired my body is tired, I don't like being out on the road dozing off because it is impossible to keep my body awake.  No don't tell me to take "energy" drinks, with my health they could kill me.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)