Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you eat it? Have you eaten the thick Greek Yogurts?

They are my new love. BUT am trying them out to find the ones I like the best.

I LOVE Oikos key lime but can only find that flavor at walmart. I bought the peach in that brand and its good. 

I also bought the chocolate (on the bottom) of the same brand. Its ok.

None of them compared to the key lime. That one was delicious!

What about you? Favorites? Recommendations?

by on May. 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I like yogurt occasionaly but am not a huge fan. I like grannola stirred into mine.

homeskoolmama
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I love yogurt. I am careful which ones I buy due to fat and sugar. I love strawberry the best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LLICE
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:31 AM
My husband makes our yogurt & uses the Greek culture because we both prefer it. We put 'freezer jams' in it & like the peach/nectarine the best. He likes raspberry also but I dislike the seeds - I prefer blueberries. We also strain it to use as cream cheese or sour cream. If we have to get store bought we like Oikos the best & I like the lemon. I like lemon anything! :)
bertie4
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I like yogurt but haven't tried the Greek Yogurt. I will put on my grocery list!

Shellness
by Michell on May. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

One day soon I am going to try to make my own. 

Quoting LLICE:

My husband makes our yogurt & uses the Greek culture because we both prefer it. We put 'freezer jams' in it & like the peach/nectarine the best. He likes raspberry also but I dislike the seeds - I prefer blueberries. We also strain it to use as cream cheese or sour cream. If we have to get store bought we like Oikos the best & I like the lemon. I like lemon anything! :)

Shellness
by Michell on May. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

This is the conclusion I have come to realize about food through lots of research and trial and error with my own body, lol! Carbs are not good for you. They turn to sugar in your body, for me increase my triglyceride count to REALLY bad numbers but it also depends on the type of carbs. From natural sugars like fruits and veggies, I don't worry about it AT ALL and eat all I wish. My body processes it just fine. Now processed sugars I avoid as best as I can but will indulge on occasion. I love ice cream :) The occasional piece of chocolate. But I also help my body out by limiting the fat content of my foods. I have found that I do well with a low fat, low carb lifestyle.

The book "The Makers Diet" by Jordan Ruben is a very good book and one that I agree with wholeheartedly. I mean who wouldn't. Eat naturally. Avoid certain meats but indulge in all the fruits and veggies you want! How can you go wrong with that? My theory is this. If God made it, its good for you to eat. If it came from a lab--not so much. Even if you don't believe in God look at it this way. If it was put on this Earth as a food substance for us, its probably ok. Haha!

I love to eat my foods raw too. The fruits and veggies. My body loves it. I have Crohns and believe me my body will let me know when I am doing a no-no. I have been in remission since they removed part of my intestines in 2006 and really hope to stay that way!

Quoting suzeebloch:

Yes.  I've made yogurt with powdered milk, which is fat-free milk.

I want to share something about watching fat in the diet.  Since I started a high-fat, low-carb way of eating, I've lost 20 pounds.  I consider it now a way of eating, not a diet that I will stop once I reach my weight-loss goal of 30 pounds.  Nothing else has worked for me.  I know everyone is unique and what works for one may not work for the other.   But you might consider at least a 30-day trial of incorporating healthy fat into your "way of eating" AND cutting way back on the carbs.  If you don't dramatically reduce your carb intake while eating lot of fat, yes, you are going to gain weight. I have only dairy as my source of carbohydrates now and try to limit my consumption to 25 grams of carbs or less a day. 

Believe it or not, when I keep my calorie ratios to 70% from fat, 10% from carbs and 20% from protein, I feel great, have PLENTY of energy, and maintain my  weight loss. 

I'm not trying to push my way of eating on any one but it sure was an eye opener for me why so many people, while trying to limit their fat intake, drink zero calorie drinks, etc.  end up gaining weight instead.  Makes you wonder why there are so many overweight people, and most sadly CHILDREN today. 

One lady in a group I belong to summed it up nicely:

• Insulin is what tells your body to store fat. Certain foods cause
    insulin reactions. Certain do not. Carbs (sugars) do. Fat does not. A
    simplified version of the mechanism is that If you were to eat only
    fat, you would not store fat because you would not have an insulin
    spike. Fat however is almost never available by itself. It comes
    (usually with proteins (and sometimes with some carbs). Carbs spike
    insulin and tell your body to store away "food" for the future. (The
    body will burn the easy-to-"burn" carbs first and turn everything else
    to fats and store fats according to the amount of insulin that your
    body has produced. High blood sugar from carbs = lots of insulin
    released = lots of fats stored. If we eat below a certain carb level,
    we have less insulin than and store less fat. That means if there is
    more fat than insulin (to tell your body to store that fat) then the
    fat will be unused and pass out of your system.
Quoting Shellness:

Can you make it with fat free milk? I am really watching the fat in my diet.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting luckysevenwow:

My DD is vegetarian so I have to be careful which yogurts I buy for her. There are very few brands that don't use gelatin as the stabilizer. For my other kids I buy whatever is cheapest cause they will eat it up in a matter of minutes.

you should try making your own!  One gallon of milk gives me 24 6-ounce cups of plain yogurt.  I purchase a 6-ounce plain yogurt (with live cultures) but I only use 2 tablespoons per quart of milk and freeze the rest to use for subsequent batches of yogurt.  And there is no stabilizer in my yogurt!  No fancy yogurt maker is needed, either because I use my oven to incubate the yogurt overnight and recycle plastic yogurt cups (with lids).  The fanciest "equipment" I have is a small lamp that fits inside my oven with a 75-watt incandescent light bulb to provide the steady 115 degrees needed to incubate the yogurt.  Oh, and a meat thermometer.  If you'd like my recipe, let me know!  For the kids - just have powdered jello or pre-sweetened koolaid on hand.  Mix in a teaspoon of their favorite flavor and voila!  I freeze strawberries and blueberries and thaw those in the microwave to add to the plain yogurt, sometimes with a little sweetner.    Here in Kansas City, my local Aldi sells a gallon of milk for $1.99.  Add in maybe $1 max for the plain yogurt "starter".  Each of my 6-ounce cups of homemade yogurt costs me 12.5 cents each. 

KittyGram
by Becky on May. 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I've tried some of them, and I love the consistency, but I'm not sure which flavors/brands I liked the best. 

chrstnasears
by on May. 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I love the greek yogurts with fruit in them! either bought with fruit or add my own fruit!   the  only fruit ones i dont like are the blueberry,  i can add my own blueberries but when bought with blueberries they are gross to me! and that hold true for all yogurts for me! cant stand the blueberry ones!

Esmrlda
by Esme on May. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Vanilla is my favorite yogurt of all time. 

Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I prefer just plain Yogurt.I haven't tried any Greek ones. Might have to get some next time I am at the store which will be Friday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)