Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

AF moms unite

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do we have any Air Force moms in our group??

Most of you know, but my youngest son Joey enlisted in the USAF. He swore in on June 1st, Friday. He is waiting to hear about a leave date.

He was told it could be 3-6 months.

Not like the Army, you sign up and leave unless you are on the delayed entry program.

SO when he joined I assumed he would be leaving. Nope.

I am sure, as this is my baby, when he leaves I'm gonna have questions and need support.

Thanks!!

~Dawn~ new AF mom

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My son was a Marine and my ex was in the Army so I have lived the military life.  Such fun.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

My ex husband was Air Firce.  We met when he was stationed at a base near my home in Calfifornia.  

nana9106
by Darlene on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I'm sure you know that my son is a Marine. But I feel like as moms of military, we all have to stick together. There are website specifically for AF moms also A facebook page you could look for. And after you find out his unit number there should be something on the bases website to keep you informed.

While I'm sure that a lot of things are different between AF 'boot camp' and USMC 'boot camp'. I'm sure that a lot is the same. So i'll give you the low down on what happened for me.

As soon as Robert arrived in SanDegio he was instructed to call me to let me know he had arrived safely, it was a less that 2 min. call. About 2 weeks later I received a letter from Robert that included his address and unit number. He also said that he would get to receive regular mail...absolutely NO care packages were to be sent. Towards the finish of 'boot camp' one of his letters included a day and time of his graduation. I had gotten a tip from another mom telling me to ask him to illustrate his position in formation for graduation...OMGoodness that was THE best piece of advice! When we got there we knew exactly where to stand to get to see him...while other parents were struggling for a position. My son had done many things to make me proud, but the moment I saw him in formation was THE most proud I have ever been, I boohoo-ed like a baby(not only I was boohoo-ing, my DH, my mom and my DD were all crying along with me). The boy that left home had been replaced by a man. It was awesome.

Sorry this is long :-/

My point is just try to be patient and strong...it is worth it in the end

((((HUGS)))) I'm here for you anytime you need me

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Hang in there momma!  I'm sure you will have alot of support when the time comes.  You know we all love you here and will listen to you anytime.   :)

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

air force

Proud US Air Force mom here.    My middle child- oldest son is deployed in Afghanistan.        There are a couple of groups that you might find helpful on here as well.    

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Moms with sons or daughters serving in the military is one and Air Force is another.    The 1st one is more active.     If you have any specific military questions,    the have the knowledge.        

I had to look them up...

busygramma4
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Although my sil went through the Air Force Acedemy, we weren't around when he did that. And that was 2001-2005. He was stationed in Montana for 4 years after that.This is when my dd went to him. See they grew up together knowing each other from church and she looked him up during college. Anyways he was missile "watching" this tour. Now he is a captain stationed in DC doing "top secret" work. So though I'm not a mom, I'm a mom in law if that counts.

Angels Lending A

Helping Hand Grp.

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

He will be going to San Antonio for basic when things get coordinated.    They will give you alot of information before he leaves.      You can  google Lackland Airforce Base,  San Antinio and get additional information.    

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Lol I thought the title meant Aunt Flo, haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My son and his wife are both in the AF and are stationed in SC with their second child on the way. I am so thankful for skype and facebook. Seeing him leave was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. Training at Lackland was a little city all in its own. Quite amazing.There are many carreers to choose from and I wish you luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)