Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My son has to undergo rabies shots

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM
  • 187 Replies
34 moms liked this

Although my son is an adult living on his own, he called me from the ER today to tell me that he has to undergo the series of shots for rabies because he got bit by a raccoon!  His girlfriend does rehabilitation work with wild animals, and a raccoon they'd just received and not yet processed or vaccinated bit him, then took off. As a precaution, he is getting the full rabies series. Ouch!

But he started the phone call, "Hi Mom..Now don't get upset, because I'll be fine....."

GRRrrr! Doesn't your heart just stop in your chest when they try to reassure that way?  I've also had phone calls that started with:

"Mom, please don't be mad, but..."

"I love you, Mom. I really do...."

"Mom, we're all okay now, but...."

"Madre! Hey, I'm at the hospital with...."

"Please don't tell Dad...."

I have gray hairs from every one of these!

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana9106
by Darlene on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM
12 moms liked this

OWIEE!!! Rabies shots Yikes!

I have tons o gray hair from those phone calls...

But you forgot:

"Mom don't freak out...but"

Why123
by Nancy on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM
14 moms liked this

I am sorry your son has to go through that.  Painful.  The calls I hate are the ones that start with "How much do you love me?"  I know those are going to cost me.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I rememember getting one of those at 2am "Mom, nobody got hurt, but....."

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Oh no!  I hear they are pretty painful.  Those phone calls are never good though are they????    LOL

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Yikes! Your poor son. We used to hear nightmare stories about those. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Hugs to your son,
Oh yes grey hairs glaore from some of the things they have said/phone calls ::sigh::

Psalm91
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM
5 moms liked this

Praying he responds well to the treatment.

mariC67
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I really dont freak out with those phone calls, I freak out when its the police knocking on my door or calling my phone and there is that brief moment when the ask if "I'm so and so the mother of ____?" when you dont know if they are dead or alive and if alive how bad is it...I've had this happen with 3 of my 5 children.

LucyHarper
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had rabies shots and they really are not so bad, small shots, you get a few of them, then its over, they barely hurt. As long as they are well enough to speak to me on the phone, I dont freak out right away.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Hope he endures those shots - comforting to know, based on what Lucy said, that they don't hurt that much.  I've always heard they give rabies shots in the bellybutton with a very big needle.  youch!

My worst phone call started with "Hi Mom.  I woke up this morning at 9 o'clock..."  of course I didn't realize it was the worst phone call until he went on to say, "I had a seizure this morning and they took me to the ER.  I have a brain tumor.  Here. Talk to the nurse." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN