Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common courtesy or none of your business? Update question.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Just a question.....

If your married adult child goes out of town/state for the weekend, is it common courtesy to let you (as his/her parent)? Or is it none of your business? 
Let me rephrase: Is it common courtesy or none of your business, to let you know that they are going out of town. Not what they're doing, just to inform you they're going. 

With lastest technolgy of cell phones and things, does anyone take into consideration that cell phones die, and/or lose signal? Does this play into the safety/ emergency issue?

Angels Lending A Helping Hand 

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

This is how my family is, too.  When I go out of town (which I rarely do these days), I let my parents know so that in case they decided to pop over to visit me they wouldn't worry.  Now days with cell phones it is much easier to keep in touch.  My parents let me know if they are going anywhere out of the ordinary - even if it's just a day trip -  because they don't want me to worry.  None of us consider the other to be nosey and none of us feel it is 'required' to let the other know where we are - I guess most importantly when we plan to be back so no one has to worry. 

Quoting kam013:

Absolutely common courtesy or at least common sense.  

We let our children know when we will be away and they always let us know as well.  My parents who live several states away still call to let us know if they are going to be away, even for just a few days.  

It's actually important to always let someone know if you are going to be away.  It's actually recommend by Safety Professionals (Police, Fire, etc) that you notify someone, usually family when you are going to be away.

What if there is an emergency?  What if you or they were flying and there was a crash?  Who would even know you were missing?  It's not even remotely about being nosey, it's about caring and consideration and it's even about being safe.

busygramma4
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Does anyone take into consieration of no signal or batteries that die?

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting DixieL:

Common courtesy. If my son disappeared without telling me I would be scard to death. He always tells me where he is going and about when he will be back

In this day and age it is a bit difficult for an adult to "disappear" unless someone removes them from the face of the earth.  There are cellphones, Ipohnes, Ipads all kinds of communication devices I've heard tell that you can access the internet on your laptop in your car now.  When Shannon and I came cross country from Caliofnria almost 5 years ago we got a flat tire, pulled over, pulled out the cell phone and dialed AAA, within a half hour I was heaed to the nearest Firestone place to get a free tire because they were still under warantee.  Shannon's dad knew we were heading this way so that evening Shannon called to let him know that we'd probably be a day later than we had planned because of it.  There was no reason to contact anyone else regarding the flat tire, not much anyone else could do about it.  Yes people knew we were moving here but that is because we were moving not just goihg out of town.  Like I said, I have people who love me, but they don't need to know every time I fart.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

They are under no obligation unless they live with you.  Just as you aren't under any obligation to inform them. But in case of emergency from either side- if they are in an accident, or if you need to reach them urgently for familiy emergency-  then they should inform you.  Not even as a courtesy, as common sense.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I think in this day and age it's not so important for family to know where they are because of cell phones.  I don't have to know where my kids are because I know I can always get a hold of them. 

Ginnymarie33
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I always let my family know when I'm going out of town . Travelling could be dangerous my parents love me and worry about me even though they have no control over my life. It's common courtesy to respect your loved ones feelings.
busygramma4
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

but cell phones die and lose signal!

Quoting jabs54:

I think in this day and age it's not so important for family to know where they are because of cell phones.  I don't have to know where my kids are because I know I can always get a hold of them. 

CoeyG
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM

My cell phone plan covers pretty much the entire globe LOL. Maybe if I were to go to the moon I might lose reception...But I'm not planning a trip to the moon anytime soon.  And I carry an extra battery just in case.  Plus I've got my laptop with me if I'm going out of town and just about everyplace is wireless compatieble.  I can use my laptop if I need to.  

Pink.Frosting
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely none of your business, especially if they are married.
valkay
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

When I drove to Texas by myself a few years ago my Verizon phone said it had a signal but I could not call or receive calls the whole way through Kansas.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 1:35 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Mine ar enot married,
However they do let me know when they are going out of town :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)