Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Common courtesy or none of your business? Update question.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Just a question.....

If your married adult child goes out of town/state for the weekend, is it common courtesy to let you (as his/her parent)? Or is it none of your business? 
Let me rephrase: Is it common courtesy or none of your business, to let you know that they are going out of town. Not what they're doing, just to inform you they're going. 

With lastest technolgy of cell phones and things, does anyone take into consideration that cell phones die, and/or lose signal? Does this play into the safety/ emergency issue?

Angels Lending A Helping Hand 

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (81-90):
MsRkg
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It's none of your business.

Sherbear2012
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM
It's common curtisty to let your parent know that your traveling..... with, where & when....."I'm 43 & live in TN my mom lives in Chicago & I let her know when I'm traveling who I'm with, where I'm going, how long etc. couldn't imagine worring my mom like that...but that's just me"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Sherbear2012:

It's common curtisty to let your parent know that your traveling..... with, where & when....."I'm 43 & live in TN my mom lives in Chicago & I let her know when I'm traveling who I'm with, where I'm going, how long etc. couldn't imagine worring my mom like that...but that's just me"

How are they going to worry if they don't know you've gone out of town?  

Sherbear2012
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

why would checking on your child grown up or not be considered being nosey?! thats a ignorant comment

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this

As an example of something that happened, before we all had cell phones, I went away on a ski trip for several days with my boyfriend, and although my mom and my sister knew I was away, I did not leave any contact information.  My uncle died suddenly of a heart attack, and no one could reach me.  I have never gone anywhere since without letting my sister know the contact info, as we travel a lot, and go to Mexico and the UK, Hawaii, Europe.  These days I send her an email with the phone numbers of the hotels/families we are staying with.   I would want my daughter to do the same. 

Sherbear2012
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM
EXACKLY!! To much is happening now a days...you just need to let family/friends no where you are, it's just safe to do so....."I tell my now grown kids if something to you I wouldn't know what direction to send help?!" the ones that have a problem with it are the ones doing stuff they have NO BUSINESS DOING ANYWAY!! end of story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Huh? So if I don't report my overnights to my adult kids out of state it's assumed I'm up to no good?

Some months my daughter has 6 trips in a month, in and out of the country. I don't usually know unless she's going to somewhere new. Am I to assume she's up to no good?

Quoting Sherbear2012:

EXACKLY!! To much is happening now a days...you just need to let family/friends no where you are, it's just safe to do so....."I tell my now grown kids if something to you I wouldn't know what direction to send help?!" the ones that have a problem with it are the ones doing stuff they have NO BUSINESS DOING ANYWAY!! end of story.

Sherbear2012
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Look that's you & your kids that's the way you raised them..."As for me & mine I taught them to be considerate, respect each other & communicate ESPECIALLY when they're traveling that's just a rule and it's understood. I travel a lot too for my job, my mom and my children have my travel itinerary for the remainder of this year if something changes I'll inform them that's just what we do as a family it's not a bad thing, it's just how I was raised and how I raised my kids....and it works for us. You do you"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

Huh? So if I don't report my overnights to my adult kids out of state it's assumed I'm up to no good?

Some months my daughter has 6 trips in a month, in and out of the country. I don't usually know unless she's going to somewhere new. Am I to assume she's up to no good?

Quoting Sherbear2012:

Yes and SHAME on you for having a life that doesn't include your adult children!  And shame on your adult children for not letting you know everytime they fart How DARE they!

Sherbear2012
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM
My husband is a truck driver & you know how many times he can't reach me between TN & MS.....ZERO!! thanks sprint! "One time he was stranded on the the side of the road & couldn't get in touch with anybody for 24hrs I knew something was wrong because that wasn't like him not to call at least once in a 10 hr shift....I called his boss he said that it was odd to not here from him either so he had to call a state trooper that would cover that route he was traveling and that's how they found him he had a blow out on a back road due to construction he had to take a detour no signal and phone dead....he was fine thank the lord...but had not we had a patteren of communication I would not have given it a thought. That was 2-3 yrs ago since then if he has to detour off his usual route he calls & they have some new tracking computer thing in the trucks now....it's just common curtisty to let your loved ones know...Most of the times I can care less what you're doing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN