Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Memories of Dad

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM
  • 3 Replies

Because of Father's Day, I have been thinking a lot about my Dad who died 30 years ago in April.  We were very close, and I did a lot of things with him because I was the "boy he never had" - four daughters instead.   I have great memories of going fishing in a rowboat on local lakes with Dad, and helping him build a fence in our back yard.  Up until I was 10 years old, my dad and uncle owned a sand and gravel business, with a big gravel pit near our home.   During spring and summer breaks from school, I loved to ride around with my Dad when he delivered loads of gravel in one of the dump trucks,  and watching him drive the loader, filling the back of the truck with whatever size the customer had ordered.   Another fond memory is when Dad would take me into town on Friday evening for my accordian lesson, and my two years younger sister would often come along as well.   After wards, Dad would take us for an ice cream cone, and sometimes as a special treat, we would go to Eatons, the department store, and my sister and I would each be allowed to pick out 1 yard of cotton, to make something for our dolls to wear.  My parents recognized early on that I was a creative sort, and I was often the recipient of kits to make various projects - dolls, animals, pipe cleaner projects,  paintings.    I realize today how much helping my father with building projects has influenced my creative urge, and given me the independence and courage to tackle jobs around the house and yard that most other women wait for a man to do.  Thanks Dad.  

What special memories to have of your father from when you were young?

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
homeskoolmama
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I was an only child and my dad wanted a boy. So I spent a lot of time fishing, hunting, working in his garage and drinking with him. Yes drinking. My first alcoholic drink was with my dad. Not all memories are precious.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Special memories.  I don't rmember my dad without some sort of alcholic beverage in his hand or near him.  I do remember the times he took me to work with him and I got to sit in the cab of the train and help him "drive" the train (He was an engineer)  I also remember the only time I was ever on a rollercoaster, I was 5, he just picked me up and carried me on because I didn't want to go.  My legs weren't long enough to fit under the foot bar and I kept coming out of the seat and all he did was laugh.  I believe that this has a lot to do with my being scared of high open places.  

lisamarie1265
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM
To many... Dad loved to take us camping, fishing, ect... Some of my best memories being little was our cabin in west hickory pa, learning to swim in the allegheny river ect... I also remember gardening with him he loved to garden still does, he worked 2nd shift so my job was to water the garden in the early evening. Christmas was special around our house as well .. He stuck to old tradition and we didn't put our tree up until the day before Christmas eve, it was always live... We would play music and all of us joined in... Even as teens. Dad isn't a drinker never was hated the stuff he's hard of hearing in his left ear from a childhood disease, he figured he had one handicap in his life why invite more in... He did however smoke, but I am happy to say he has quit and hasn't smoked since 1990 way to go dad health and grandchildren are more important than vices...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)