Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

sun sensitivity?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 18 Replies

Whenever I am in the sun for an extended period of time, I get a hive like rash and small pimple like bumbs on my exposed skin, even when I wear sunscreen. It is very itchy and wil spread soetimes if I scratch at it. IT is not a heat rash.

Does anyone else have this poblem? Any suggestions on how to avaoid breaking out all the  time ?

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana9106
by Darlene on Jun. 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM
IDK... but I hope someone has a solution for you. That has to be really sucky to have that reaction to the sun :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Have your blood tested for variations of porphyria. Also use benedryl or some other OTC that will help with allergies.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Have you tried different sunscreems with different ingredients?  It also happens when you don't use sunscreen?  My sister has a sun allergy and has to cover up when she is outside during the day.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yeah I started getting that about seven years ago.  Usually when I drive on my left arm ...seven years ago is about when my Lupus started presenting itself more prominently.  

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I have tried different sun screens but never really paid attention to the ingredients. It happens when I don't use sunscreen too and on top of that I burn.

Quoting Bmat:

Have you tried different sunscreems with different ingredients?  It also happens when you don't use sunscreen?  My sister has a sun allergy and has to cover up when she is outside during the day.

homeskoolmama
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I would ask my doctor, could be something serious. OR it could be a reaction to a certain ingredient in the sunscreen.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I'd go to a dermatologist as soon as possible to find out what is causing this. I hope you'll let us know what you find out.

Quoting LadySaphira:

I have tried different sun screens but never really paid attention to the ingredients. It happens when I don't use sunscreen too and on top of that I burn.

Quoting Bmat:

Rileyscute
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Are you on any medications? Some meds have sun sensitivity as side effects but most ignore it...

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I have been breaking out like this for years, I probably should go to a dermo..I have a general health check up at the end of July, I will ask my doc for a referal.

Quoting Bmat:

I'd go to a dermatologist as soon as possible to find out what is causing this. I hope you'll let us know what you find out.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Quoting Bmat:

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jun. 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

nope, I don't even take a multi-vitamin

Quoting Rileyscute:

Are you on any medications? Some meds have sun sensitivity as side effects but most ignore it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN