Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fishing question!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM
  • 21 Replies

My husband and I and 2 friends went deep sea fishing. We had a good time other than the surf was really rough and my husband and I were sick for a while, lol!

BUT when I came back to work and told people what we did several people said they would NEVER go fishing because of the thought of "hurting" the fish! They eat fish, just won't go fishing.

Have we really become so industrialized that going fishing is a cruel thing to do? Have we gotten that far from our food sources? I would hate to see these people have to live off the land and provide their families with food themselves! It just amazes me. I grew up on a farm and we hunted. If there were no stores we would still live!

What do you think?

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caro100
by Carol on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Our  country is becoming more and more prissy all the time.  I have been on those deep sea fishing expeditions, though, and I hated seeing them fillet the fish and not kill the fish before filleting them and then tossing them gills still flapping into the waste bucket.  I have fished all my life and always killed them with  a blow to the head or QUICKLY chopped their head off before filleting.

Shellness
by Michell on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Quoting caro100:

Our  country is becoming more and more prissy all the time.  I have been on those deep sea fishing expeditions, though, and I hated seeing them fillet the fish and not kill the fish before filleting them and then tossing them gills still flapping into the waste bucket.  I have fished all my life and always killed them with  a blow to the head or QUICKLY chopped their head off before filleting.

Eww no! The guys on this boat cleaned them for tips or you took them home and they chopped their heads off too first.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I've been fishing in my past, I know where fish come from and how they get onto my dinner plate, as a kid I used to accompany my dad and grandfather to the slaughterhouses and learned where that hamburger on my plate came from.  I'm not a big meat eater for health reasons but I do occasionally take in a great fat burger (FIVE GUYS) as a kid I also watched my maternal grandmother grab a chicken from her coop and whack it's head off and I knew that the chicken leg I was eating came from that same chicken.  I don't find people who eat meat as horrible people, I do wish they would cut back because we don't need that much of it in our diets and we would be healthier if we all cut back.  I don't like hunting because we readily have food available at grocery stores.  I don't view hunting as a sport unless you are gong to humt something with the same thougt processes as yourself.  And I would fully support hunting people on death row.  But that's another evil thought of mine LOL

stuswf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM
I so agree with you!

When the stores close where they buy their "humane meat" close they'll starve!

Hello vegans / vegetarians .....plants are alive.....you just killed and ate a living thing & grew in an animals feces!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stuswf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM
In turn.....don't kill it if ya ain't gonna eat it! (that's how I was raised)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
startupscafe
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM

People don't even know where eggs and milk come from.  Good grief!  Then they want to ruin the milk by homogenization and pasteurization.  It is getting to where people won't eat what the government hasn't approved.  

There are e.coli and other problems on food, however, it is from mishandling and nothing more.  Like with milk, the processes of homogenization and pasteurization is so that the milk can be mishandled and then sterilized, basically.  Where there are smaller dairies and farms, the farmer is more able to keep those problems out of the food supply while they are able to keep an eye on each animal, making sure that each animal is healthy.  In a commercial dairy, the dairy farms are not so able to keep track of the health of each animal.

When I was a kid, we would go fishing at the lake and camp out for the whole weekend.  The lake was crowded all the time.  I don't see such crowds anymore.  People are not enjoying nature.  They forgot how to feed themselves and rely on themselves.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Quoting startupscafe:

People don't even know where eggs and milk come from.  Good grief!  Then they want to ruin the milk by homogenization and pasteurization.  It is getting to where people won't eat what the government hasn't approved.  

There are e.coli and other problems on food, however, it is from mishandling and nothing more.  Like with milk, the processes of homogenization and pasteurization is so that the milk can be mishandled and then sterilized, basically.  Where there are smaller dairies and farms, the farmer is more able to keep those problems out of the food supply while they are able to keep an eye on each animal, making sure that each animal is healthy.  In a commercial dairy, the dairy farms are not so able to keep track of the health of each animal.

When I was a kid, we would go fishing at the lake and camp out for the whole weekend.  The lake was crowded all the time.  I don't see such crowds anymore.  People are not enjoying nature.  They forgot how to feed themselves and rely on themselves.

When I was a kid chickens weren't fed hormones in order to make their breasts plumper and the taste was so much different.  I can't stand the taste of chicken nowadays because of the crap they feed to them.  

startupscafe
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I have had grass-fed beef without hormones, etc. and it tastes WAY better!

I have raised my own chicken for meat and I agree with you that the taste is so much different.  So are the eggs!

Funny seeing you today.  I was just thinking of you today, Coey.

I am glad we agree on the food.  LOL

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting startupscafe:

When I was a kid chickens weren't fed hormones in order to make their breasts plumper and the taste was so much different.  I can't stand the taste of chicken nowadays because of the crap they feed to them.  

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I have a sister-in-law that informed me that she would not keep any eggs that I brought to her from my chickens. !! "Eggs come from the store". What a dope. My brother informed her that when he and I were little, we'd walk up the street to Grammy's and she'd kill and pluck the chicken for dinner. And we'd stand there and watch her!

When my kids were little, like 5ish....we went to my friends for Thanksgiving weekend, which also happened to be the weekend they were killing their cow for beef. They shot it a couple times in the head, hung it up in the tree, "emptied it out", chopped it in pieces enough to fit in the back of the station wagon and off to the butcher it went. My kids watched without fright.

Me and my brother go deep sea fishing every summer. We do it more for the fun of it, but we keep everything we catch, that is legal size.

The chickens I have now are strictly egg chicks....they've become pets. But next year we'll start raising some for meat. More to save money than anything. We get all our meat, dairy, eggs, butter, yogurt from the local farms. No hormones, no pesticides in their foods, etc. I actually like that the chicken parts are smaller, keeps our diets in check. You know how you just tend to eat whatever is served....even when it's larger than necessary.

stuswf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM
I so agree with ya ladies!

I grew up on raw milk!

Today, I don't drink milk often as I think it tastes terrible! (pasteurized / homogenized)

My husband will smell the milk & say,"is this milk good? Smell it...." I say,"don't ask me to smell it all store milk smells rotten to me !"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)