Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Really...what would you do?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok don't get me wrong I love my kids and grandkids....So my oldest daughter calls and says, "Mom, can we come visit today?" I said, "Sure it would be good to see you guys!" Well she comes over and goes right to sleep on the couch...the twins were hungry and baby was hungry and wet and my daughter was sleeping. Of coarse I feed them and changed the baby but I thought we were coming over to visit not to have mom take care of your kids. What would you do?

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
busygramma4
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I would have woken her up and said l said visit not babysitting

LLICE
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM
I would've changed the baby & fed the kids. I've always just loved kids (any kids) & don't get to spend as much time with my grandkids as I'd like. I'd drag out the toys & be on the floor with them pretty fast. In addition, my daughter is an exceptional mom who wouldn't fall asleep like that unless she was just exhausted. She'd be embarrased but knows I'd be okay. I'd wait to talk about any problems until she grabbed a nap & I'd made some coffee. :)
robin7771
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I would help her out, but first wake her up and ask her what is the problem? She may have been up all night long and need a break.  TLC

Robin

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I'd have realized that she must really need the sleep. I can understand your surprise about the situation, but at least she was there in case you needed her so not exactly in a babysitting situation.

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I also don't get to be with my grandchildren nearly as much as I'd like.

Quoting LLICE:

I would've changed the baby & fed the kids. I've always just loved kids (any kids) & don't get to spend as much time with my grandkids as I'd like. I'd drag out the toys & be on the floor with them pretty fast. In addition, my daughter is an exceptional mom who wouldn't fall asleep like that unless she was just exhausted. She'd be embarrased but knows I'd be okay. I'd wait to talk about any problems until she grabbed a nap & I'd made some coffee. :)

jabs54
by Jeanine on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I probably would have done the same thing you did.  I've never had one of my kids come over and fall asleep on the couch so I would think there was something wrong with them and they needed the sleep.

Hope102893
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM
My honest opinion... Depends how she is otherwise. Maybe she was needing rest and help. If she did this more than once, I would definitely make excuses not to be available. I wouldn't mind helping with dinner and changing the baby. It would only bother me if I felt like my daughter was being thoughtless. Sometimes our children behave in certain ways only with their moms. Because who's better than a MOTHER?
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here

Quoting Esmrlda:

I probably would of done what you did and taken care of them, changed them and fed them. Obviously she is wiped out and needed a break.  I would of given her that break and then told her when she woke up that next time to tell me... she just needed to be more specific as to what a visit means and if she needed a break and needed to decompress to just say so.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

lisamarie1265
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM
I am glad you had a good heart to heart... It sounded like your daughter was exhausted, twins and a baby..wow!! But your right she shouldn't have made you feel used, I remember the days of being a young mom and sometimes would doze off when visiting mom.. But it wasn't to use her, she enjoyed her alone gramma time but I made sure the girls were taken care of so mom could just worry about playing with them. But it sounds like you and your daughter are close, and the talk did good andi am sure it won't happen again. I liked that you said you and your daughter have a great mother daughter friendship,.. My mom and I are very close she's my mom and my best friend.. I try to be the same with both my girls, we are very close... Glad things worked out... Take care and bless !!!
lisamarie1265
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:35 AM
Quoting LadySaphira:

Agreed!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)