I haven't been around much because my mom has been really sick. She is 65 years old, last October she had a double mastectomy and about a month ago she was diagnosed with cerriosis(sp) due to diabetes and fatty liver. About 3 weeks ago we had to take her to the hospital because her hemoglobin level was 6. They gave her 5 pints of blood and she started feeling a lot better, so she got sent home...with no explination of why it was so low. Fast forward to Monday...my DD and i went over to visit. When we went in it was shocking...she was like a zombie...very ashen and lithargic(sp) she wouldn't even open her eyes...and she would talk at a whisper. I begged her to let me take her to the doctor and she kept telling me.she would be fine and she didn't want to go. We left there around 9. By 11 my dad called crying saying that she wouldn't respond and she was running a fever. So we headed for the hospital. Her hemoglobin was 6 again! In 3 days they have given her 3 more pints of blood and 6 different kinds of antibiotics IV. On Thursday it was back up to 11...and her temperature was 98...and by Friday she was back down to 9 and her temperature was 99.7...and the doctors want to send her home AGAIN with no explination. We (me along with my brothers) pitched a fit...so they did a bone marrow tap yesterday afternoon, but are still saying she is going home today. We all know if she goes home that she will either die or we will be back at the hospital, or both. We are at a loss for what to do...they wont give us any explination of what is causing this...its like they just don't care what's causing it, just about getting her hemoglobin up and send her home. What can we do? What would you do?
They did a bone marrow biopsy on friday. We are waiting for the results of that. As of right now she is still in the hospital, her blood lever has stablized for now at 9. She still has a low grade fever 99.2, but they are talking about sending her home today. We have made a plan, that if they do send her home that we will let her stay home but as soon as her temperature gets 100 (and we know it will, if history is any indication), we are going to take her to the medical center downtown. They still don't know the cause of the low blood levels, we are hoping that the bone marrow biopsy will have the answer. All we can do is sit,m wait and pray for her. Thank you all for you support and prayers
We got the results of the bone marrow biopsy. Things are pretty grim :( The results show that she has Myelofibrosis. Which is a 'scarring ' of the bone marrow tissue, her bone marrow can no longer produce red blood cells. She is not a candidate for a bone marrow transplant, and some of the other treatments she can't do. They are going to try some different, experimental type medications on her, and hopefully they will help with the pain and general discomfort. The doctors are not sure how long she will survive, but things do not look good right now. Please continue to pray for her.