Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Contract ideas to begin evicting 23 year old and her son

Posted by   + Show Post

I made the mistake of allowing my 23 year old pregnant daughter and her son move in with me in my small house without creating a contract for her to sign.  Before she moved in, she made all these promises of what she is going to do if I let her.  Needless to say, she hasn't lifted her finger to do a thing but scream and holler.  I am a very calm person most times, but I am really at my wits end and I really want her out.  Is there a way I can back track to ceate a contract to start the process of kicking her out? 

by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (11-18):
caro100
by Carol on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:21 AM

All you have to do is give her a 30 day notice of eveiction.  If you want to get fancy, you can go to courthouse and get a form letter.  Before you go down this road, I need to ask you... Are you willing to not see your grandchildren? Your daughter right or wrongly will probably not let you see them, so if you don't want to get a bunch of bitter feeling started, you need to be very sure this is what you want.  I would leave her a chore list and if she's not paying rent especially if she's not paying rent, explain she is to do most of the general housekeeping and such.  Write your expectations down and explain also that she is no longer a teenager and the yelling is to be stopped.  . Good luck.

nana9106
by Darlene on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM

This sounds fair

Quoting Bmat:

Maybe tell her she has a week to move out. And that if she wants to stay longer than that she needs to sign the contract?

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

To have a contract in place, both parties have to agree to the terms.  It sounds like your daughter has really messed up her life.  What I understand from your post is she is pregnant, already has a child, and where's the daddy of her kids? She probably will not want to agree to terms if she already "does nothing to help" and screams at you.  Good luck with this situation. I can't believe how many times I have heard similar stories on CM.

Happy2b2
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Heres an update, we got into a huge argument that turned physical. Cops came and said I could file a restraining order but I couldn't legally kick her out since she has established residency. My advice to others who want to give their adult child the benefit of the doubt, know the laws of your jurisdiction in case things go bad. Our stand your ground and say NO! Thank you all for your words of advise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri-553
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:40 AM

We told our oldest son he had to move,he is 33,He doesn;t have any kids/pets.But he has been here 5 years long enough,so right now he is on a waiting list,Tell her she either needs to pay rent/help out or get out,At some point we have to take a stand,Tell her to apply for housing in your area,Good Luck

homeskoolmama
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Depending on the state you live in, you either have to call the police to have her removed or file papers with the court and have her evicted. Some place all you have to do is tell her she is out and if she doesn't leave, the police will remove her.

Is it that bad? If so, do what you must.

Happy2b2
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM
It was that bad, she has moved back to my fathers and my family has once again bailed her out, which is fine, it's not my health she is stressing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hope102893
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM
I often wonder about these type of issues with our children. I had 3. None of them help with lawn, dusting, vacuuming, etc. it's a battle we've lost. A 28 year old son finished college. Came back home and wanted to continue partying. So I told him he needed to get his own place. My middle daughter moved out with her boyfriend only to return with her 2 dogs! And the youngest who is 18 just packed her stuff and moved to another state. It's a losing battle. We are dammed if we love and protect them. We are dammed if we tell them to find their own way. I can't give you advice. I can only tell you about my own experiences.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN